Fighting The Heat!!!

I forgot about it after bit. the fleece vest was a bit bulky added on top. Well worth it.

Generally, it seems that summer heat work, the climber is better shaded, and does less labor than typical ground work, for removals.

I tell my groundies that when they don't feel like they can continue, Safely, call it. Cool vests will help. The Ogre definitely helps.

I had to piece out a hard-leaning, wobby forest maple, understory to my high TIP Doug-fir, over a primary. Lots of vertical clearance, for working it in little pieces with very tricky climbing. Cut it and broke into "salad" to avoid a snag on understory branches that could swing it into the wires. Cool Vest and no distractions, got it done. Sorta stressful, but no problem. I did have a live branch break out and bounce off the line. I was not thrilled. Ogre loaded the trailer with logs, I stacked another pile of brush for the Ogre to forward to the chipper tray. Custy was really surprised at what I did solo, on a hot day. Thankfully, I already had a high TIP throw line to pull in the Wraptor.

No chance I would have done it without the cool vest. It was about the hottest day of the year, at around 90 in Olympia, probably 85 on site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It gives you strength and endurance.

You just need to know when to refresh...

I could feel it, when it was almost melted. I took off the vest.

I'd like to cut some vent holes in the snug-fitting vest's sides. Maybe tomorrow... forecast 95. Cooler very near the Puget Sound.

Part of the deal... Latent Heat of Melting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_heat

"Phase Change Technology"...

The value of cooling easily offsets the weight, for me. We're sweltering here at 100° with yucky air quality. The heat breaks at about 4 am.

Looks pretty sweet. I was thinking about my coolvest, as its going to be a hot week, in the 90s, here.

I was thinking of putting some fleece insulation on the outside of the coolvest packs' pouches to insulate from the outside air and sun.

I wouldn't do all that - it's bulky enough already. Just always have a spare set in the ice chest, ready to go!

Mid 90's up here, panting somewhat helps. On a different note the finger stretches and supplement advice given to me on another thread sure made a huge difference, no hand cramps so far in this heat.

11796425_10155943115975492_7900183170154137897_n.jpg

I think someone said it was 103 today. Seemed right at about 3 pm. We were already done with our job for the day by 1:30.
Helps doing more pruning on these kind of days. More shade.

I beg to differ. The inner canopy of a live oak is super hot and muggy - no wind is moving.

It ALL sucks when it gets like this!

Final temp... 104
i%2Bprefer.jpg

I've been in Cali, working on a flight line in the desert.

Here, it's a different critter. Ask Jerry. He paid me a visit during the warmer times...

Soup sucks!

I think Sean ( south sound tree) and Stephan (cursedvoyce) both have cool vest. I'm sure they will give their advice as well. I think you'll need spare packs and carry a cooler of ice water in the truck to make it work all day. To many more days like yesterday and I'm gonna be ordering one. The heat and humidity kicked my ass. I fell asleep on the couch around 630 last night and woke up off and on till 6 this morning.

You really should order one, along with the spare inserts.

Yes, you will need a dedicated ice chest to hold the spares.

For those of you who have shopped around a bit on these and have used them, what is the least bulky option you have come across? I don't think that the heat is as severe in my area as it is where some of you are if that matters. Thanks.

Ahh, Butch.

I wore my cool vest for the first hot day of the spring about three weeks ago and searched for this thread to bump it for any new people who hadn't read about it yet. I couldn't find the thread, so glad to see it up now.

Coolvest takes the edge off the heat. A pleasure to wear.

My new neighbor is a cop, he was complaining the other night about the heat with his ballistic vest. Is this something that might work for him as well, or is there something that might? Thought I'd better ask before recommending it.

Back