Deluxe Workwear?

Had a friend that did demo. He was the Food Service manager at the College I worked at in MA. Him and his brother. Brother being a survivor of Hamburger Hill was an interesting Vet to talk to.
Anywho....
The two of them saved a lot of solid doors and hardware we used in my bosses house with the help of a master carpenter. Helped him build it. Stained glass windows. Refininsh solid mahogany and cherry doors. Walnut too. Stained glass windows he saved went into certain rooms. 4200 sq feet of lovelyness on the lake. I would work with him there in our off times, staining cedar siding or whatever. Refinishing antiques.
We woul go down to RI and pick out raw milked lumber for the oak stairs, moulding and wanescouting and stairs. Watching it turninto these things was amazing. Fun stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I used to have a couple nice Pendelton shirts. Not sure what happened to them. I got those from the thriftshop. Sizing was a little small, but the weaving was exceptional, and the colors were very rich.

Archeologist! I've actually thought that, but that's a little more disciplined than I'm setup for. Seems to be lots of bookwork, and a little bit of digging. I'm more a scavenger and a junk collector :^D

I'd need a partner, cause I'm not artistically inclined, but a hipster shop with junk artistically arranged would be a super fun gig. A guy I used to work with had a great eye for that stuff. He picked up a lamp from an overhead highway light, painted the base black, and put it on his shelf. It looked awesome! I wouldn't have seen that if I saw it laying on the ground. Would have just looked like junk to me.

Hit some trendy restaurants and look at the old style decor they paid good bank for. Gives you good parameters in buying what sells.

Wool rocks but of course, beware moths.

I got a nice wool pullover top for xmas some years ago, I was like, Ooo, I'm just going to wear this for special occasions...translation: I rarely wore it. So eventually I happened across it and said, Imma start wearing this thing a bunch, it's way too nice to just sit unused. Pulled it out.....full of moth holes :whine: :|:

I got these today from Marshalls...

IMG_20240121_110709851.jpg

Not as good a deal as I usually like, but if you get too greedy, you can miss out altogether. @Treeaddict, they have more of the DarnTough tactical socks. It's a bit of money, but you'd be hard pressed to find something better. Great for treework, and everything else. There's a lot of acrylic and polyester crap on the rack. I spent 15+ minutes finding the good stuff, but it was worth it, and there's some left. If you want to roll dice, they'll probably cut prices further as shitty warm weather approaches(they don't realize wool's awesome for shitty warm weather). Stop in every week or two, and you could score an amazing deal.

I presume you are aware of the Darn Tough warranty: if they wear out, return them for a brand new pair. #hardtobelievebuttrue

I don't think I'd do that unless they wore out faster than expected. If socks last you lifetime, you aren't wearing them. You certainly aren't wearing them working. That seems abusive of their good will. I have some pretty old socks, but I've repaired them numerous times. Also, irregulars(what Marshalls has) aren't covered. This is from their FAQ(emphasis mine)...

Our socks are guaranteed to be the most comfortable, durable, and best fitting socks you can buy. In a nutshell, if you wear a hole in them, we will replace them free of charge, for life. Things that generally are not covered—disappeared in the dryer, the dog ate them, too close to a campfire, theft by friend or foe, etc., etc. However, all claims made in good faith will be considered.
Please note, socks purchased as seconds or irregulars are not covered by our warranty. For more information about our Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee or to start a warranty claim, visit Our Guarantee page.

Nobody in good faith can expect socks to last forever. It's like people that returned Craftsman powertapes for exchange; C'mon... Powertapes are a consumable resource. If it doesn't break, you aren't using it. The companies believe in their product enough to give a very nice warranty(rare these days). Overusing it will cause that warranty to go away, and it becomes a hassle even getting defects taken care of. If I judge I got value from an item, I call it good, and buy another one.

Costco has some nice moreno wool blend soft cushy socks that are perfect for me about year round and not terribly pricy. And as stated, a thick sock works often well in warm weather too. And some extra padding between my feet, shanks and gaffs is a blessing.

Back