Felling an outlaw

I too was trained to unclip to bypass limbs...no climbing lines, just a lanyard. That got me a broken wrist one day...spur kicked out while unclipped...doh!! What a dumbass.

Yeah. The climbers that worked for me on pull settings would have to go around the back side of 10' trees that were leaning at an extreme angle, pulling a heavy 1" chocker. Thank God no one ever slipped out, we were lucky. That said we would only let the best climber tackle those. These trees were in steep canyons with blue line streams at the bottom. Oftentimes on the back side of the tree we would be 30' off the ground standing on staging to do the back cut and that was scary enough.

Jomo I don't know him. I would think that he has a cable yarding system mounted to it. That is common for some yarders. I don't think that is anywhere close to where I used to work.Thanks

No yarder, he just noses onto the sand, drops the gate, and out comes a big tracked bobcat that stuffs brush into the hold, and 33 foot logs onto the gunwales.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...nding+craft+photos&biv=i|10;d|ODiccn73D5TUKM:

One good bobcat operator can keep up with me while smokin a cig!

Jomo

Guys the tree was approximately 2500 years old. Sad? probably to many. I am just a worker bee in a society with demands. Cory I always worked in the woods since I was 17 in N Calif. moved to Montana in the 70's to be a hunting guide, built my own log house by hand and needed to make extra money so went back to the Redwoods and started my own contracting business. I had 25 fallers working for me in 1987 and we cut 70 million in that one year.Now I have my own logging Co. in Montana my partner runs the fellerbuncher and I fall the oversize and do a little climbing etc.

It's good to see another Redwood Refugee here. Did you ever work out around Yager Creek?

What's going on around there these days? Yager sounds familiar. Mostly we were from the mouth of the Klamath and upstream on Simpson land. Then we went into the old second growth around Blue Lake. We also did a lot of old growth fir inland. Like Redwood Creek all the way to Happy Camp. We were all over the place I guess. Can you still make a good living chopping?

I'm way late replying to the questioned asked about, "how long does it take to fell an outlaw."

The big ones, one day. Climbed and rigged, felled and bucked. Now moving the logs was another thing altogether, because the loggers, for the most part, didn't have the big equipment to move old-growth. Most of the outlaws we picked up in the latter years was logged with second-growth rated machines.

the truth of the matter is, if most loggers had their way back then they wouldn't have taken the trees, because they broke so much rigging moving those big logs. Same with many fallers, as they lacked the saws, spring-boards and jacks that it took to get the big trees. There was a short story I read once called, "Big trees are nothing but trouble"

The ones the old-timers left for us to get were not called outlaws for no good reason. They were all tough trees,,, for everyone.

Every time I watch the 1971 logging movie Sometimes a Great Notion, depicting Paul Newman climbing and topping out a huge conifer and taking a "ride".

I think to myself, yeah right!

I heard Newman broke is bloody leg jumping out the back of a pick up while filming!

Nah that was a real logger up there! Probably Jerry Beranek or some other pro!

Helluva good flick!

What's going on around there these days? Yager sounds familiar. Mostly we were from the mouth of the Klamath and upstream on Simpson land. Then we went into the old second growth around Blue Lake. We also did a lot of old growth fir inland. Like Redwood Creek all the way to Happy Camp. We were all over the place I guess. Can you still make a good living chopping?

Yager Creek is out in the Carlotta area, kind of south-east of Fortuna. I worked mostly on PL ground.

I started on the coast in 1965 and stuck with it as long as I could. I moved over to the Sierras in 1980 for a two week job...and I'm still here. One thing led to another and I've made a pretty good living. The last few years we were working farther and farther away from home but that's just the way it is.
I guess you could still make a living cutting on the coast but it's sure not as good as it was. Most of the guys I worked with either gave it up or moved over here.

I've pretty much got out but I do enough to keep my hand in. When a real juice job...good ground, good timber, decent money and an easy commute...comes along it's hard to turn down.

the truth of the matter is, if most loggers had their way back then they wouldn't have taken the trees, because they broke so much rigging moving those big logs. Same with many fallers, as they lacked the saws, spring-boards and jacks that it took to get the big trees. There was a short story I read once called, "Big trees are nothing but trouble"

The ones the old-timers left for us to get were not called outlaws for no good reason. They were all tough trees,,, for everyone.

That's true. Most people have no idea just how much plain hard work was involved. Falling them was just the first step. Even if you saved one out all the way it wasn't worth a nickle until you got it to the mill.

I have your books, by the way. They're darn good.

You and Pat have been at it awhile, kudos:thumbup:

Post some picks or tell some stories.

I've nothing to add to this thread, I just wanted to say I am thoroughly enjoying reading it, thanks all, this may turn out to be one of the best threads ever!

You and Pat have been at it awhile, kudos:thumbup:

Post some picks or tell some stories.

Just for your entertainment? I'm not in show business.
My stories aren't any different than a thousand other guys and if you want good pictures take a look at Beranek's books.

There are a lot of unique "Old Growth" stories. A lot of it depends on micro geography of the Redwood region. Some of the ground was so steep that we had to wear climbing spurs just to try and get them bucked for the yarders. Some trees so big that they had to be quartered using 5' and 6' bars, then cutting notches for the 150 ton Silvey jacks to "pop" them apart. I remember huge snags with sheets of bark 12" thick that would crush a man having to be dynamited off with prima cord before felling. Fear was always an issue but there was no glory, just adrenaline and dirty hard work. We seldom thought about taking photos, it was just a job then, but not just a job either. Those days are gone and a lot of the guys that did the work are no longer with us. The few that are, should be happy to pass on their experiences to their "compadres" in this business of wood. I feel honored and obligated to.

I gotta say, that is a great post.

Fear was always an issue but there was no glory, just adrenaline and dirty hard work. We seldom thought about taking photos

Awesome description!:thumbup:

Those days are gone and a lot of the guys that did the work are no longer with us. The few that are, should be happy to pass on their experiences to their "compadres" in this business of wood. I feel honored and obligated to.

8):thumbup:

With all that hard heavy labor for years, and on steep treacherous ground, how would you say you have managed to apparently stay in fine shape, as you are still cutting?

Luck? Genes? Exercise? Stubornness?

Just wondering what your perspective is since tree work is tough work and we all want to be able to keep doing it.

Back