experimental tree work - Hahndorf

Stihlmadd

TreeHouser
a mid point line top out - one outstanding ride.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G_W_bhwuI4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice job. Btw, what do you have for friction on you SRT tie in?

Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers the top tip was two feet from ground at the final hang point.
yale 10mm beeline, swapped to srt from drt for better position holding during the ride phase and then as secondary safety line in case of spar rescue needed.

If you have to self rescue, can you descend on that as is?

sorry should have said is a vt prussic with micro pulley, have done some testing and can descend on but unsure how safe that would be as a single system, more in mind for a assisted retrieval if required,
currently do not own a rope wrench or similar and have no formal instruction in srt.

I think two separate lowering lines would be better than that set up as it gives you redundancy and allows you to absorb the shock load. I'm no physics guy but the shock load on those tops was extreme and not in their strongest direction.

hey sthilmad, nice to see you on here mate , always enjoy your vids bro .
the setup is pretty risky with all the force generated with shocking that line .
how was the line attached? two separate trees and one with a base tie?
cool stuff anyway bro , keep the vids coming :thumbup:

I'm not sure what I was looking at there. Please explain. We're you doing whatever you did for the sake of experimenting? Was there a reason you couldn't butt tie it ?

okay give me some patience as I am still finding my feet here, don't know how to place multiple quotes on one reply,
anything I tag/term experimental has been discussed and agreed upon by all of the team before starting to come up with any better idea first,
Old monkey - choose a single line as there was no knots or joins so less weak points for failure given the load force that was going to be generated,
Southsoundtree - yeh the load application was less than desirable - I agree ,
ClimberNz - cheers from across the ditch:lol: setup was pushing it x9000, single 19mm bull rigger line running down the back of two trees at best position we could use, down the backs for max load sharing to a porty set around base off each tree with whoopie 's so two base ties one length of rope. used a pulley /sling combo to allow the stretch of the rope and movement of the two trees to absorb the shock load.
then the pulley was to let the load find its own centre, tag line on the tip was for directional pull away from other trees on the back cut and then for directional control away from same trees if needed.
Page - the structure of the tree including the second defect (the one at the butt in front of me) meant it was unsafe to continue climbing past that point and the rigging point strength in the two trees being used was best for height vrs strength at that critical junction so we went with it there.
phew thats a lot of explaining so hope it all comes together - keep it simple stupid and hope like hell would be the motto on this one - the whoopie is going in the retirement bin and thats a rap crikey.:whine:

okay give me some patience as I am still finding my feet here, don't know how to place multiple quotes on one reply,
anything I tag/term experimental has been discussed and agreed upon by all of the team before starting to come up with any better idea first,
Old monkey - choose a single line as there was no knots or joins so less weak points for failure given the load force that was going to be generated,
ClimberNz - cheers from across the ditch:lol: setup was pushing it x9000, single 19mm bull rigger line running down the back of two trees at best position we could use, down the backs for max load sharing to a porty set around base off each tree with whoopie 's so two base ties one length of rope. used a pulley /sling combo to allow the stretch of the rope and movement of the two trees to absorb the shock load.
then the pulley was to let the load find its own centre, tag line on the tip was for directional pull away from other trees on the back cut and then for directional control away from same trees if needed.
Page - the structure of the tree including the second defect (the one at the butt in front of me) meant it was unsafe to continue climbing past that point and the rigging point strength in the two trees being used was best for height vrs strength at that critical junction so we went with it there.
phew thats a lot of explaining so hope it all comes together - keep it simple stupid and hope like hell would be the motto on this one - the whoopie is going in the retirement bin and thats a rap crikey.:whine:

Nice!

yeah it looked like you had a considerable amount of rope in the system to absorb some of that shock.
I'm originally from nz mate , I'm just playing around over here in Germany.
I'ts a good place here at the treehouse bro , keep the vids coming

Good on ya cuz! (:D ) seriously it was a brand new rope last month and not even run in yet so action occurred middle of the hank. yep calculated length vrs stretch and was two feet off my guesstimate according to groundsman, germany sounds like fun am I too far gone for work visa at 42?.
yep so far alls good at the treehouse, was reluctant because of some run ins at an old site, Bixler vouched for the good people like yourself here so am trying anew.
thankyou for watching and the comments mean a lot when it comes to making film, really appreciate them all. :thumbup:

Thanks for the explanation, I know it can be a pita but it helps.
Good work btw, call me weird but I like the bit where you delay the back cut for a run through in your head then "bollocks lets just do this!"

You Sir are either a psychic or have been there, yep that last double rev was me going " well in for a penny, in for a pound".
I expect to be grilled on a bit of unusual work but welcome the feedback so it is what it is.
thankyou for watching. :D

yeah it looked like you had a considerable amount of rope in the system to absorb some of that shock.
And the rope was anchored pretty high in the tree on the left (don't know about the one on the right). That gave a good amount of flexibility to catch the load.

Could you have/ did you let it run at all on one POW?

There was a good high line physics video recently were hand tensioning removed most of the belly. As soon as you added MA, forces skyrocketed on the anchor points without much effective working height gain. Anyone know which one i'm talking about? Brits in video??? Point being the forces go crazy fast when loading perpendicular to a tensioned line, which most everyone already understands.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Could you have/ did you let it run at all on one POW?

I choose not to have anybody near where they could potentially be injured if it all went pear shaped. this also removed a variable in my equation when guesstimating the sequence unfolding and what was likely to occur at various points in the system and where I would be at those times.
the boil down is I contract climb and while yes it worked out this time it is not a recommended method by far and I am not defending my actions per se but demonstrating what is sometimes asked of us all,
the impossible, for the ungrateful and unknowing.
This is why it says the willing on the back of my harness, the ability to improvise, adapt and overcome I feel is where we come into our own as climbers.
I am a dyslexic high school drop out who couldn't do maths in order to save a life but I seem to have a kinda magic when let loose.
And at the end of the day I have worked many a job over the years but none have rewarded me with such a feeling of honestly earning every last cent my due. :)

I couldn't tell what was below. I wondered if it could have run and been arrested or tip crashed and butt controlled. Just wondering, as there are times where unorthodox methods win the day. Hedging the bets, that's all. Extra touch as a contract climber with an unfamiliar roper. Good Job.

Back