Epic cross country road trip(finally haha)

Real sorry to hear that! Best of luck with the treatments and keep things rolling as any responsible son would. My heart goes out to you.

Ranger, 10 years ago I had chronic fatigue to the point where I couldn't work at all. Went to docs and was diagnosed with Hep C:( The Docs told me to find a new job as in all likelihood I would never be able to climb trees again. That was a part of the impetus behind the Wraptor project. Anyways to cut through all the BS they wanted me to do interferon for a year blah blah $60k in meds Blah Blah. You know what, I read up on the side effects and the efficy of the treatment and said frig that. After much research I came up with a system to treat myself. I did treat myself for minimal cost and have been climbing trees ever since, haven't been to see a doctor in 9 years so don't know if I still have the Hep but who gives a shit when it don't effect me.

I met your old man and liked him. Have him give me a call, Ill pm you my #

A good bud of mine, the artist guy that lost both arms when a young lad....I mentioned him before, they gave him bad blood after his accident, and half his liver is basically dead, been struggling with it for years and years. He was on an interferon schedule for awhile until his general condition didn't allow it anymore. I have seen the side effects, super weak and running a high fever every time after they gave him the shots. Man, I felt sorry for him. I hear it can have some pretty serious depression thing that kicks in too. Good on you Adrian, for being the support that your dad needs.

That's the reason to stay around, temporarily. good for you, Adrian. Listen to your dad about going on the trip, just delay until he's capable, be it 6, 8, 12 months or whatever. He might be living a bit vicariously thru u on your trip.

Agreed.

I was a grown man at the time, but my mid-70's father had to have some serious surgery and since he was my mother's care-giver, I told them I'd cancel a temp. duty station assignment doing some interesting climbing work in the Carribean and stay to fill in for him. He hated me having to do it, hated me missing the experience of the parrot work, which he'd been involved with as a wildlife biologist specializing in endangered species during his work career.

But taking care of them was more important, and he knew that too. It tore him up, and it made him proud of me, all mixed together.

You're doing right, Adrian. Respect to you, my young friend.

The cure is more dangerous than the disease. :(

Interferon was developed to treat cancer. It didn't work and big pharma had Billions into developing it. They literally had to find something it could treat so as to not loose their ass. The docs will tell you that it is "the best treatment option currently available" What they don't tell you is after 3 years the cure rate is about 3%. They claim a SVR (systemic virilogical response) of 30-40% but this is measured at 6 months. Curious that studies conducted on people who don't treat show a spontaneous clearance rate of 3% so basically your odds are the same whether you treat or not..... I should add this is all data from 10 years ago when I was dealing with this. The side effects from interferon are mind blowing, from blindness to suicide and at a huge price tag to boot. I have no idea how those docs can sleep at night after doing what they do to people to make money.....

Was that recently B???

No, Paul. My father died, of leukemia, in 2002. His surgery, partial colon removal for diverticulitis, was 5 years before that. Some hard years in there.

Sorry to hear B. My Dad was in OK shape and was taken to hospital for something or other and died in the night whilst sleeping. They "saved" him and a year later he had throat / lung cancer and spent an agonizing 2-3 years fighting that. He always was pissed that they didn't just let him go in his sleep before he had to deal with all that. Lots worse things than dying....

I would take myself out in a second, if that was my only recourse... but I sure wouldn't be happy about it.

Suffering just ain't worth it, IMO.

Adrian, my regards to your father and our hopes he fairs well through all this. My cousin had hep c and went through this, god rest his soul. I feel for you. You're doing a wonderful, responsible, stand up thing to stay and help. You have my utmost respect towards you and your decision. You are an inspiring young man sir.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, yeah, it killed Dad when I told him I'd stay home and run the business while he did it. He hates that, almost didn't tell me about it cause he knew I'd probably end up staying home instead of doing the trip.

Paul, I'll have him give u a ring tomorrow.

And I don't know the name of the treatment exactly. All I know is they added some new drugs along with it and it now has a 75% success rate compared to the 40% it had last time. They said he's a perfect candidate because he's in great health otherwise and his liver is in great shape since he doesn't drink much at all. His Doc is a good person and they've grown quite a friendship through the years, so I know she wouldn't steer him towards it unless she really thought it could help.

Good luck to you both, life throws these curve balls at us from time to time, good on you for being a sensible and mature young man!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm Adrian's Mom and he allowed me to read the thread he posted about his trip and the subsequent delay due to my husband's Hepatitis C treatment. I know this probably goes against protocol - and it won't happen again - but I felt the need to put down words, and Adrian gave me permission to do so. I know he has been a member for several years and I've often wished something like this had been around when Tom first started out 24 years ago. You are right when you say that Tom lives vicariously through Adrian and his experiences. He's extremely proud of Adrian, is humbled by who Adrian is as a person, and a bit in awe, I believe, of the respect Adrian has found in the "arboriculture world". You won't hear him say it out loud, but his heart is screaming "that's my son!"

I simply wanted to say "thank you". All Adrian has ever talked about doing was being an arborist. His goal was clear at an early age and he has pursued it with intent. As I'm sure you know, he's an outstanding young man, intelligent, hard working, and though he won't admit it, in possession of a kind and caring heart. He is a leader, not a follower. He's going places and the last thing Tom and I want to do is hold him back. We both had our adventures before meeting and marrying. Wouldn't trade that time in our lives for anything! We are anxious for him to set out on his trip and looking forward to the experiences of a lifetime that he is going to have. All of you have been and will continue to be a part of his life. Your friendship, encouragement, advice, guidance and mentoring have had an impact on Adrian and will continue to do so, I'm sure. I thank you for this and for your kind words regarding Tom. Adrian WILL take his trip and he'll collect priceless memories from each moment and the people that touch his life. It is a trip he'll never regret. My heart is grateful that you will be there along the way. Remind him now and then to let his parents know how things are going! Though I tend to worry, I think this time around, I'll be fine. He's got his roots . . .time for him to go discover what else awaits him in life.

Wow, I hope the best for you and your family Adrian.

My mother had hep C and she took some 'new' drug therapy about 7 years ago and has tested negative ever since. It sounds like your dad has alot of positive factors(lifestyle, diet, fitness level) in his favor same as my mom did, may he be as successful.

Sure is nice to meet you in some fashion. Be a good way to get updates on Adrian's travels if you join up in here.
I have two boys myself, I can relate to you and your husband being quite proud of your son. Far as I am concerned, shows some good parenting as well. We'll be here for when he gets on the road.

That was a very fine post by Adrian's mom. Seems like an all around very intelligent and loving family that is going on there. Hope that Tom's illness is merely a minor halt in the progression of positive things.

Back