DMM is over rated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will be more than happy to send it up your way. I have been using the s-h out of it and I love it. I wish I would have got it when we first started up. Our old boss would never spend the money and I hope that is what will start to set us apart from his company. My guess the shipping up to you would probably be several hundred considering how darn heavy that thing is.

I will admit to being a lover of all things DMM. I certainly a fan of all their climbing gear, namely their carabiners.

Their impact blocks are super sexy, but all of our work trucks are outfitted with CMI or ISC steel blocks.

Yep ISC blocks may not be as pretty, but they pretty much ROCK.

and Eric...just bring it up will ya? we'll share some Mr. Beam ;)

Have you guy's heard about the 'Hand' ? Robert Phillips demo'ed it and it seemed kinda silly. Interesting tho. On the market soon I think.
Jeff

Their impact blocks are super sexy, but all of our work trucks are outfitted with CMI or ISC steel blocks.

I too like the looks of the DMM blocks and plan on buying one as well, but to me the BEST block in the world is still the HOBBS Blocks. I have 3 of those puppies and they are awesome. Ed Hobbs truly was ahead of his time.

It is a 'Thing-a-ma-jiggy'! He said that back in the 90's it was $12 bucks. They stopped making it or something.
I think he said when it get's back on the market this year, it will be about $75 bucks.
Jeff

Asked sherrill about the impact blocks, they said they will be in the new catalog end of March but didn't have pricing yet

Thanks for the link. $300 is hard to swallow for a block but I may take the plunge. I need to retire one of my blocks. Its getting to where I wonder about it while working

If you're wondering, then it probably is time. But that is a big gulp to swallow, price-wise. There are some awfully nice blocks for a lot less out there.

That is a sure sign. It is time to get a new one.

Haven't tried the DMM out yet, but it sure is nice looking:)

A beauty from Wespur...they carry a 3/4 in. model as well, for $210.

5/8” Spring Block Block
$175.00 Item # pul213
The 5/8” capacity spring block is one of our most popular large arborist blocks. The design is compact and the unique upper sheave design is quick to open & close and secures easily, plus it eliminates the chance of dropping a sheave. The side plates are thick aluminum with a yellow powder coating to enhance the durable life of the block. Strong and durable.
WLL 2,250 lb. Breaking Strength 22,500 lb.

Attachments

• pul213-150.gif
    pul213-150.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 92
That is a very good block. I had one of them untill we apparently left it at a jobsite last summer.
It is gone, and that is the only way I can think of.

So much for doing a tool check before leaving!

I have 2 of the spring blocks, a 5/5" and a 3/4", great blocks that work flawlessly, but i do "need" one of those DMM blocks, just the small one would do ;)

My opinion is that currently DMM is the only major manufacturer that has involved arborists into the design and production of tools. All of the other companies carry climbing/rescue gear that is crossed over. Hitch climber, pinto pulleys, Dmm Rings, were made by arborists for arborists, no other company does that as far as I can see. For that, DMM deserves some props. They actually care about us!

That said, I cant imagine what anyone would do with one of those large DMM blocks. Who cuts wood that big? there are no trees in Michigan that would require something like that. Maybe on the west coast. I am very happy with the CMI blocks, I like them better than the ISC blocks and I cant imagine forking out that kind of money for even the smaller DMM block. I wouldnt mind one as a gift though.

I also have a spring block and know there are many cheaper options. I am thinking about the DMM as we discussed earlier about more cycles to failure and the fact that I was pleasantly suprised with the hitch climber in how much smoother it is than the micro pullies I have previously used. I believe I will buy one, it just takes awhile to pry the cash from my hands:D

Back