DMM is over rated!

Well said, Adrian
The next generation of treeclimbers ( you) will most likely see some big changes in gear. Just look at hopw fast SRT has evolved.
Be hard for us old stick in the mud types to keep up:lol:
I have one of the first generations of Petzel assenders that I still use. I think they are a very sexy looking block, but I also belive in the KISS principle. They look over engineered to me with a lot of little screws to get loose or lost after being pounded in the rigging.

I think their stuff is awesome and everyone but me should buy lots and lots of it so the price comes down to where I can afford it.

you're just a frikkin' cheapo tight ass Eric....;)

but aluminum blocks rock! i don't have the DMM ones, but I do own a couple of ISC springblocks, damn fine piece of gear.

The oval krabs are the best I have seen, and of course the HC pulley.

and I'm with Adrian, the rings are top notch.
I ride petzl rings on my sequoias, they work, but they are not rated as much or as sleek as the DMM greenies.

these things are just drop dead sexy... IMGP7081.jpg

They are rated 30kn and the finish is better than any i have seen.

I'm with Nick, thats my biggest peace of mind, is each ring is CLEARLY marked with who made it, the rating, and other things. After that unmarked ring incident, this is a big plus in my opinion. No other ring manufacturer makes their markings stand out as much as DMM does.

And plus, like Cary said, they are just drop dead sexy:big-tongue4:

No Thanks.....
I would have a problem seeing green rings in a tree....
I use steel rings anyways... :D
You need one of those blocks Cary..

:lol:

you need one of those blocks Cary..

The thing about nice fancy looking stuff is I just seem to take care of it better. I coddle it in swaths of worn out carhart fabric. That block would never ride a spar to the ground or just get tossed to the ground by a hired climber.

That was sort of my point about taking a hit I stated earlier.. A hit to the ground if someone dropped it. A smack on a rock from a drop could really compromise aluminum. IMO

Of course we all know no one here would ever accidentally drop their block out of a tree :/:

:lol:

I kinda went off on my guys last year when I found my GRCS winch in the back of the truck with the chips and lunch boxes in the tool compartments. Told them i'd run those lunch boxes through the chipper if I ever saw my $2500 tool chucked in the back while a $10 piece of plastic was being protected!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you're just a frikkin' cheapo tight ass Eric....;)
[/ATTACH]

True and I will never dispute that fact, but if I see something that I believe will improve safety or productivity I am willing to spend the money. Case in point the GRCS that I bought a couple of months back.

p.s. Cary, rumor has it that you need one of those impact blocks. Did you order one yet? If not, you could add it to your order when you buy your next saddle.:2gunfire:

That video highlites emr's point perfectly, I think. Great techniques in the vid, but nothing in there involves fancy gear. Most of what is shown in the vid can be done with a webbing runner and a biner.

The best thing shown is at about the 7:45 mark when you see how to lock off the M method. But the sling isn't really being used. He direct clipped the biner to the multisling (skiping the green ring) and clipped the prusik to the hitch climber. That could be done more cleanly with a shorter eye-eye sling and a biner.

I don't get it, but I'm happy to splice them up for folks! :)

love
nick

True and I will never dispute that fact, but if I see something that I believe will improve safety or productivity I am willing to spend the money. Case in point the GRCS that I bought a couple of months back.

p.s. Cary, rumor has it that you need one of those impact blocks. Did you order one yet? If not, you could add it to your order when you buy your next saddle.:2gunfire:

yeah yeah yeah....;) rumor has it that the GRCS is not working for you, and that you needed my addy up here to send it up for a big dying elm job over a cottage on an island in a frozen Ontario Lake ;) :) just so I can really elements-test it.:evil:

Back