DMM CElanyard

I use the Trango Cinch also, with around 20' of 11mm Velocity. It is not quite as smooth as when used with 10mm line, but Velocity is easier to hold on to and still works well. Skinny rope was never designed to be worked by hand, it was made for better flow through rope tools and provide less weight in long lengths. Gripping and hauling your body weight by hand on small ropes will eventually ruin your hands, especially when done in cold weather.

For me fliplines and positioning lanyards are two very different tools. Fliplines are for working off spurs. Their use requires the pulling and hauling of your body weight by hand, so a large-more-comfortable-to-grip sized line is the correct choice. They do not need to be as long as a multi-use lanyard so the larger size with its added weight does not matter. They must flip and flip well!

A multi-use lanyard, on the other hand, will not be able to accomplish its multiple chores if it were stiff and fat. My use of a lanyard has changed quite a bit as I have become more comfortable with SRT techniques. I will often use a choked anchor with my lanyard to take full advantage of its length. For this application I replace the end carabiner with a 3/8" stainless steel screw link. It is compact and heavy, so it throws well and does not snag too often. Plus, unlike a carabiner, it can be side loaded in this application without the need of other gizmo's. Combine this with the ability of the Trango Cinch, which can support full SRT movement, and you have a very versatile and inexpensive-to-make and replace setup.

Dave

Well done, Dave. Dead on in all respects, imo.

Back