DMM CElanyard

chris_girard

Treehouser
So has anyone here used the new lanyard yet? No doubt it's very pricey, but I picked one up when they were first available here in the States and so far I really like it. What I do not like is the Distel hitch though. To me, after awhile it becomes too grabby. I switched it out for a VT and it responds much better. Of course this voids the CE rating, but since this doesn't mean squat here in the US, I don't really care.

Hmmm...I see no distel. Looks like prusiks, both ends. That is a heck of a lot of moola for something most of us would make ourselves.

What are the advantages as you see them, Chris?

Edit...in the video it does appear to be a distel, just not in the still pic of the lanyard.

I might get one of those when I get so old and weak that I can't pull myself from one tree to the other without using a 2 to 1 system.
As for right now, that is just way too complicated.

When you clip your lanyard into itself, after taking a turn around a branch, what is the advantage of clipping into a ring on a prussic, instead of the lanyard itself, apart from giving you a chance to bring more hardware aloft?

Sorry to come across so negatively, but this is the kind of stuff that would have my apprentices ( gearheads all of them) foaming at their mouths, but leaves an older climber like me dumbstruck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it's pricey and there is no doubt that we can easily make our own. What I have found is that DMM and Treemaginers have really interfaced the components to make the smoothest running lanyard out there. You can't beat the Pinto Pulley either. IMO, it's the best one on the market.

I have the 10 footer and find that it basically eliminates having to pull up the tail of my climbing line to use as a double tie-in point. It's also great for advancing your line in a tall conifer. Also great for limb walking and the return in.

I find it a bit hard to believe that a 10 foot lanyard would effectively provide for the elements you just mentioned, Chris. I use my lanyards for both, but they are from 14 to 22 feet...and the shorter ones are too short for me, used those ways.

No worries stig. For sure you don't need a lanyard like this, but it sure is fun to play with all the new gear, as long as it doesn't slow production down.

All depends on the tree Burnham. Works great for the smaller trees, but yeah it sucks in a wide spreading decurrent tree. For that I have since spliced up a long lanyard to use and yeah I still will use my climbing line tail. I really should have gone with the 20 footer.

I was just looking at this the other day. I don't really understand why it is so expensive. I have a laynard that I made for a lot less with a vt and a pulley on a carabiner on the d rings. I use it as a single line quite a bit on the treemotion as well if I need some extra length. I like what the treeimaginers do, but this one doesn't seem like a breakthrough by any means, if anything it seems redundant to what people already know and do.

I like what the treeimaginers do, but this one doesn't seem like a breakthrough by any means, if anything it seems redundant to what people already know and do.

As stated a lot of us would just make are own, but what does the person do that doesn't make they own tools... buy it from a supplier.
I also wonder how much the CE cert plays into this. Maybe for some company's making it themselves is not and economic/safety option.

I was just looking at this the other day. I don't really understand why it is so expensive. I have a laynard that I made for a lot less with a vt and a pulley on a carabiner on the d rings. I use it as a single line quite a bit on the treemotion as well if I need some extra length. I like what the treeimaginers do, but this one doesn't seem like a breakthrough by any means, if anything it seems redundant to what people already know and do.

i agree (tho it IS very shiny and sexy looking) and i do the same. i use a home spliced 18 footer with vt and pinto. the pinto is only there cause i bought it for something else (and it was shiny and sexy) and didnt use it. ive not yet had a reason to use the rated becket. i love looking at treemagineers stuff for ideas to make at home. im cheap ;).

As stated a lot of us would just make are own, but what does the person do that doesn't make they own tools... buy it from a supplier.
I also wonder how much the CE cert plays into this. Maybe for some company's making it themselves is not and economic/safety option.

If the components used meet standards, and the methods used to assemble them are accepted practices in the industry, I'm not sure how there could be a finding that the item was not safe to use, or did not meet standards.

Edit...I suppose it's inescapable that if an item is not actually certified in it's entireity, some safety officer somewhere might kick about it, isn't it?

The CE Lanyard is expensive, but its definitely the real deal. Walking around TCIA, I heard a lot of guys commenting on it, and how much they loved it. I myself don't use one, because I love splicing too much and just enjoy making my own. Actually started making my current one a little before this one came out, I had many of the similar ideas they incorporated into it. Mine is an 18'er, don't use all 18' much, for the most part I just use the first 10' or so. But its great having it there when I need it.

The Pinto pulley is awesome in this application. All the other pulleys I used didn't keep things as streamlined, and at times, it could be hard to advance my hitch because of a bad angle, etc. Now, with the hot forged edges, everything just flows. And having the option to use the becket it great also.

Also for the floating prussic with the thimble, I just have a prussic made out of tech cord that I use for the same application, minus the thimble. This allows you to set it up SRT style, without sideloading the biner, as would be the case if you just clipped back onto the lanyard itself. Also allows u to keep it in reach if desired, instead of cinching it up all the way to the limb.

Norm Hall brought it to my attention that the 6 mm prussic cord does not meet the ANSI min. of 5400 lbs, but who cares? The thing is way strong enough that there's no worries.

Why would a vt make it not CE legit but a Distel is legit?

Because it was only tested with a Distel and not a VT, therefore no one will sign off on it. They have strict testing standards over there and if the inspectors don't test the equipment with the type of knot that you use, then it won't be passed

Rockin neo pro man. Love it for a lanyard. Durable 16 strand in a lightweight 7/16" package. Also splices extremely easily, easiest 16 strand I've found so far.

Back