DMM CElanyard

Skinny lanyards have their place, but they sure are hard on the hands. Less that 1/2 inch is marginal, 10mm is nearly useless in my work.

Because it was only tested with a Distel and not a VT, therefore no one will sign off on it. They have strict testing standards over there and if the inspectors don't test the equipment with the type of knot that you use, then it won't be passed

CYA I guess.

You guys who like larger diameter rope for flip lines, you should try some PMI EZBEND. I use the 11mm EZBEND as my lanyard and it flips like a champ. I guess the 10mm is even stiffer. One of these days I am going to try some Beeline for a lanyard.

I think a microlanyard would be nice for pruning. 3/8" rope at the largest and some type of mini adjuster, maybe Tech-cord.

What about a webbing lanyard with a Duck for the adjuster? That would be interesting.

I have a 10mm Beeline with a Cinch adjuster, 20 feet, that is the loveliest thing...but the diameter is just too thin to handle comfortably. Actually hurts my hands to work with it for very long.

I shelled out the dough a couple months ago for it and I like it so far. A little skinny in the hands, but quite useful in many apps. My only problem so far is two minutes into using it I tapped it with the Silky. A mild nick but getting worse. I talked to Mr. Shakespeare of NE Ropes at TCI who makes the lanyard and he said he couldn't get me just the rope. Bullsh t I say I spent near $200 and it is not rebuildable? WTF? I could have made this myself for less. Damn.

Skinny lanyards have their place, but they sure are hard on the hands. Less that 1/2 inch is marginal

Same here, the old grippers just don't like that small dia. But considering the first flip line I used was 3/4 or 5/8 3 strand, that may taint my opinion. :)

I have a 10 mm OP lanyard that Nick made me, 7mm Mammut tied in a distel for the adjuster with a CMI micropulley. LOVE this thing for pruning work, it is 12' long, tighteye spliced on one end with an ISC triple action snap.

I would love a CE lanyard to try out, small ropes are cool with my old grippers, years of heavy deadlifts, chins, shrugs etc. when i was a competing powerlifter gave me a grip to rival an orangutang ;) :)

750 pound rack pulls will make your hands strong or rip them to shreds...I opted for making them strong ;) you know eh Chris?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh yeah Cary, I remember the powerlifting days like it was just yesterday. Deadlifts were my favorite lift too. I competed in the 181 lb class. Were you in the 165's?

Sorry for the derail, but what kind of totals did you guys have (Chris and Cary)? I am hoping to do my first meet in 2012, any advice?

The CE testing of the lanyard as a complete unit would have cost a huge amount of money. Therefore the price tag reflective. In theory we should in the UK use this as it's the only complete tested unit, as opposed to using made up ones who's components are CE approved but never tested in configuration. It's Bs from other industries that have influenced legislation at a higher level, which are also applicable to our industry. Hope that makes sense

Yeah, don't start out too high, get your first 3 whites, then go for it, if you start too high, and bomb all attempts, you are out ;) i have seen that 100 times.

if you are a touch and go bencher, practice the pause in the gym, go lower than you think you need in the squat, meet jitters will make you squat high, that combined with suit and wraps will make it harder to dip below knee level. i was lucky, I'm really flexible, so hitting low squats were easy.

when deadlifting, once you think you are standing straight, really push the chest out, this will pull you shoulders back making sure you lock it out.

my totals were between 1650 and 1730ish as a 198er :) good luck man!

I have a 10mm Beeline with a Cinch adjuster, 20 feet, that is the loveliest thing...but the diameter is just too thin to handle comfortably. Actually hurts my hands to work with it for very long.

I use the Trango Cinch also, with around 20' of 11mm Velocity. It is not quite as smooth as when used with 10mm line, but Velocity is easier to hold on to and still works well. Skinny rope was never designed to be worked by hand, it was made for better flow through rope tools and provide less weight in long lengths. Gripping and hauling your body weight by hand on small ropes will eventually ruin your hands, especially when done in cold weather.

For me fliplines and positioning lanyards are two very different tools. Fliplines are for working off spurs. Their use requires the pulling and hauling of your body weight by hand, so a large-more-comfortable-to-grip sized line is the correct choice. They do not need to be as long as a multi-use lanyard so the larger size with its added weight does not matter. They must flip and flip well!

A multi-use lanyard, on the other hand, will not be able to accomplish its multiple chores if it were stiff and fat. My use of a lanyard has changed quite a bit as I have become more comfortable with SRT techniques. I will often use a choked anchor with my lanyard to take full advantage of its length. For this application I replace the end carabiner with a 3/8" stainless steel screw link. It is compact and heavy, so it throws well and does not snag too often. Plus, unlike a carabiner, it can be side loaded in this application without the need of other gizmo's. Combine this with the ability of the Trango Cinch, which can support full SRT movement, and you have a very versatile and inexpensive-to-make and replace setup.

Dave

The CE lanyard is still genius though, well thought out, the treemagineers are truly that, engineers of quality treegear :)

The CE lanyard is still genius though, well thought out, the treemagineers are truly that, engineers of quality treegear :)

They are smart indeed. Unfortunately, they are also heavily invested in DdRT products. If they could put that brain power to the use of SRT in tree work, we would see some very innovative solutions and gear that would be tree-industry specific. I do not see that happening until they have a sufficient financial return on their existing products.

Dave

very True Dave, but there are rumors that some well established companies are showing great interest in the rope wrench ;) even the Famed Welsh company has been eyeballing it, if they ever jumped on board, it would be an SRT explosion :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry for the derail, but what kind of totals did you guys have (Chris and Cary)? I am hoping to do my first meet in 2012, any advice?

No worries. Cary has some very good advice. What I used to do was get that first attempt in so I didn't bomb out. Pick a light weight that you know you can easily make. This not only gets the initial jitters out, but also gives you a chance to see how the judge are calling the lifts.

Cary, was a much better powerlifter than I was. I competed the raw meets, where you were not allowed to wear suits or wraps. I could total 1350-1400 lbs in the 181's.

Yeah, don't start out too high, get your first 3 whites, then go for it, if you start too high, and bomb all attempts, you are out ;) i have seen that 100 times.

if you are a touch and go bencher, practice the pause in the gym, go lower than you think you need in the squat, meet jitters will make you squat high, that combined with suit and wraps will make it harder to dip below knee level. i was lucky, I'm really flexible, so hitting low squats were easy.

when deadlifting, once you think you are standing straight, really push the chest out, this will pull you shoulders back making sure you lock it out.

my totals were between 1650 and 1730ish as a 198er :) good luck man!

Thanks Cary, will for sure open light. How long did you train before you got into training with suits? I appreciate all the advice! :)

chris_girard said:
No worries. Cary has some very good advice. What I used to do was get that first attempt in so I didn't bomb out. Pick a light weight that you know you can easily make. This not only gets the initial jitters out, but also gives you a chance to see how the judge are calling the lifts.

Cary, was a much better powerlifter than I was. I competed the raw meets, where you were not allowed to wear suits or wraps. I could total 1350-1400 lbs in the 181's.

Good point about the judges. I will definitively be going raw for my first meet. 1400 total at 181 is no joke man, thanks Chris!

Thanks Cary, will for sure open light. How long did you train before you got into training with suits? I appreciate all the advice! :)

Good point about the judges. I will definitively be going raw for my first meet. 1400 total at 181 is no joke man, thanks Chris!

I trained raw all the time, only used the suit for a few workouts before the meet, could never get used to a blast short, so I never wore one, I never even wrapped my knees or wore a power belt until i was at 500 lbs ...figured it would make my stabilizers muscles stronger :)

I trained raw all the time, only used the suit for a few workouts before the meet, could never get used to a blast short, so I never wore one, I never even wrapped my knees or wore a power belt until i was at 500 lbs ...figured it would make my stabilizers muscles stronger :)

I think you are absolutely right about going beltless and wrapless, and I think a lot of folks overlook that fact.

Back