Chain runs at idle.

My dad spent 42 years at Beechcraft/Raytheon. When he retired he was lead inspector for final delivery. I spent 13yrs in machine shops, did everything from tight tolerance avionics to 40ft long spars. Finally got pigeonholed doing titanium on five axis mills and burnt out.

Awsome. Im doing an annual on a bonanza this week. But like u said. Im burnt out on fixin shit. I have found a new passion. Its tree work and the treehouse and also chainsaws. Working on chainsaws I don't get that pissed off its tantric to me. My boss bought a baron about a month ago. Its in decent shape think he flew to Arizona and flew it back to fl.

That'll pass, methinks :D. You just haven't turned enough wrenches on recalcitrant saws yet :).
Hopefully my echo's stay running.:thumbup:. Lol. Or they will get a bowline tied around the handle and i'll use it as a boat anchor. Lol

Every brand, all models, at one time or another, have been threatened with that, as I well know, and intimately :lol:.

:drink::drink: wish I had half your knowledge on tree work. First plane I worked on Saab 340b really well built aircraft. I knew that aircraft well. There cars suck though.

Ha, I told the crew I wanted one of the big saws back. They said I could have the 260, said it wouldn't make a good boat anchor. Then I stole the 660!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys. I have another 200T I'm working on. This one has a scored piston on the exhaust side. I am going to get a piston/cylinder and cylinder gasket for it and I was wondering if I should replace the crankshaft seals while I was there. Also are there any other things I should do while I'm in there?
Edit: Also should I pay a few more bucks for Stihl parts?

Do you know why the cylinder is scored? If not, then you will really need to go over it and figure out why, otherwise you are just going to ruin another one. I'm not going to say the seals are bad or not, I'm not going to say the intake boot is bad or not, but these are things you will need to know before you put the money into it.

The saw guy always told me that I ran the saw hard in the heat and then just shut it down was why I scored pistons before. I would have no way of knowing Andy.

Scoring on exoust side can be carbon issue, but mostly when I see it here they run hot/overheat.
Overheated saws is usually run lean or has a air leak if they were properly adjusted at time of scoring.
Something as easy as a bad fuel line with a tiny hole in it can do the trick. Crank seals is another common reason.

Overloading saw, bad mix of fuel etc also do this.

It had carburator issues for quite a while. So I probably did this by not addressing the carb issue sooner.

My 200 has run like a champ for 3 years until yesterday. It is slow to come down to idle after running in the cut. If I rev it up and let off it idles down like it should. I pulled some covers off the carb and am hoping the vent covered with sawdust could be the problem. I will blow off the carb/vent/fins while in there.

It does not have a ton of hours on it. I haven't pulled the limiter cap off yet. Been running good.

It seems like a mechanical issue. Look closely at the parts and how they move, from the trigger down to the carb. All of them have to move almost freely because the spring isn't so strong. Dust and chips or even small bits of twigs add some dragg and can slow down the movement.

Back