Chain runs at idle.

Al's right a bearing gone bad can make a drum wobble, but 9 out of 10 heat over time causes clutch springs to break from normal use.

Saw clutches put out an amazing amount of heat during normal cutting , run a saw a bit and then touch the clutch drum with your bare finger.
Springs heating up ,stretching and contracting through out the day in time weakens them.
I'm still in the debate whether 3 springs setups are better then the long one spring circular setups that most outboard clutched saws have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Al if I grab the clutch and it wobbles around should I replace the bearing?

A bad bearing will make the clutch drum wobble. The clutch is screed down tight, reverse threaded, iirc. You will need a spark plug hole piston jamming tool, name of which escapes me, piston stop, maybe. Some use rope through the spark plug hole to jam the piston/ crank shaft, allowing the clutch to be spun off. Sometimes, its on extra tight.

You can knock a clutch off with just the compression of the cylinder too. I've done it a few times in the woods to replace a broken sprocket. One of the drawbacks of Willard's beloved outboard clutch.

Bar wrench on the clutch, up against the compression, strike bar wrench handle mightily with the bar and after a few try's and curses it'll come off.

There you guy, blacksmithing it again, Squish, only this time with a bar stead of a hammer:O

Outboard clutch knocked off with a scrench and a foot long hardwood stick against the engines compression in 30 seconds:lol:

Let me tell you about lighting a cigarette with the saws spark plug........:/:

Righto! Many times it takes some impact to knock loose a clutch .I've never tried it afield or awoods as be the case .

About the only thing I ever did "awoods " was remove the chain chain brake on a Mac and as far as I know it's still on a white oak stump in Knox county Ohio .Duh!:lol:

Steve, it's been 25 years since I last smoked a cig. But yeah in my younger days if I ran out of matches I'd pull the plug out of the Jonsereds 621 , take a piece of the tin foil paper out of the cig pack and dip it in the fuel tank . Then hold the wet paper under the spark plug , crank her over and spark makes fire....
Last resort alright, just like finding the water jug is dry and then resorting to drinking spring run off water from the ground and noticing the rabbit turds in the puddle in the process
:lol:

Rabbit turds are ok.
It is when you find the rabbit in the puddle you are in trouble.

When I lived in a small cabin in Idaho, we got our water from the tiny creek behind the cabin.
One day I found a looooong dead calf a bit upstream from the cabin. Been dead so long that when I tried to pull it out with a rope and a orse, it came apart.
No wonder the water had a funny smell.

I haven't touched a drop of water since:lol:

As I said spring run off water there was still ice so no chance of salmonella. No not on a rez, in the Boreal forest making a living with a chainsaw.

Yeah I like to think of derails can be called "rabbit trails"...........seeing we're on the subject of rabbits:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:lol: You guys. I'm retarded, I just got back from getting the springs and I look at my sprocket and it's all worn. :|:

Back