Cavity work..OMG!

flushcut

TreeHouser
I saw this on a job today it was in the neighbors yard. I guess if you are going to use concrete you might as well make it look good LOL. Image 1.jpg

It was removed after 20 years or so to clear an intersection. I drove by it for two decades. Concrete in trees doesn't really hurt the tree, it's just unnecessary - like painting cuts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In one of the big estates on Lake Geneva there is a interior concrete cast of a tree about 10/12' long and maybe 40" DBH. If I had a place to put it I would love to hang a business sign off of that bad boy. It has root flair and two arm of where limbs were, kind of like a cactus. If I ever get back on that property I'll take some pictures.

I don't know about that .Around 4-5 years ago they took down an in town oak that had been concreted with rebar in it ,about 6 feet of it .It took a jack hammer to get rid of the crete after they cut the tree off of it .That was a fat old thing about 4 feet in diameter and old obviously

It does dry Al, but I can say for a fact that concrete does not cure to the degree it does in other environments. I myself am not a concrete expert, but know a few men in the business. One owns a company by the name of Keystone Block, they manufacture block obviously. Another owns a company that pours commercial concrete jobs (malls, schools, government projects, etc), the last that comes to mind owns a company that manufactures highway barrier. Ive asked each of them in conversation because I have wondered many times over the years if concrete is a good solution to tree issues. Personally I hate concrete in trees, for obvious reasons. BUT, though I despise it, Ive wondered if it really is advantageous. None of those guys could speak for whether or not it is wise in trees, but each have said they don't believe it cures to its potential in a tree. Its strong, I do know that, but in most cases doesn't reach its full strength.

Well it gets pretty strong. The A300 Standard says filling cavities SHALL NOT be considered to add strength, but that pic shows woundwood growing over it--that's help right there. Of course that could also have been achieved by mesh screen stapled over the hole...

Well it gets pretty strong. The A300 Standard says filling cavities SHALL NOT be considered to add strength, but that pic shows woundwood growing over it--that's help right there. Of course that could also have been achieved by mesh screen stapled over the hole...

The tree looks like it is healing like a teenager good borders and no obvious signs of decay!

Weather 'crete will set up good in a tree I have no idea ,However it will set under water and be hard as --well concrete .

They're awesome allright .I've hit them with a mower,sawn into them ,punctured tires on them .Just like a wooden post they rust off right below ground level or slightly above .You don't see the SOB's until the damage is done .They will make a mower blade look like a pretzel and knock out the deck bearings or break the crankshaft on a push mower .I shudder think of what would happen if you fed one through a chipper .

They're awesome allright .I've hit them with a mower,sawn into them ,punctured tires on them .Just like a wooden post they rust off right below ground level or slightly above .You don't see the SOB's until the damage is done .They will make a mower blade look like a pretzel and knock out the deck bearings or break the crankshaft on a push mower .I shudder think of what would happen if you fed one through a chipper .

Yep sneeky lill bastids!

Yep sneeky lill bastids!

A bit like dentists, that's what I thought this thread was about last week after my visits to one.

I've hit my fair share of T posts and water pipe, wooden stakes must be too expensive.

Not much concrete in trees around here but I still remember the first time I hit some, it was set hard. Only one guy used to do it and he's long gone.:smoker:

Fencing methods have changed .Early on it was rot resistant wooden posts ,then steel .Steel you could put up a lot fence in a hurry because you didn't have to dig the holes for the posts.Now it's the uses of pressure treated posts driven into the ground .

Those nice straight pressure treated posts are a byproduct of the use of the centers of plywood veneer logs that are also used for landscaping timbers etc .Pretty ingenious idea who ever came up with it .

Back