Magic Cut?

lxskllr

Treehouser
When/why/how is a good time to use a magic cut? I suggested Mike try it today on a no consequence chunking down of a willow stem. I gave him instructions that were cobbled together from fragmentary data I've collected, and may or may not have been correct. This is what I said....

Make a standard, but deep facecut, and dutchman the horizontal portion
Make your backcut about 0.5" below the horizontal part of the facecut

Any corrections? That worked, and the chunk went over, but I'm uncertain why that's better than other alternatives that could be used.

Pics not loading, for some reason. Description is there.

That's the gist of it.

To my recollection, Gord from BC was the feller who introduced it on TB, in the relatively early days.

I've never heard it discussed outside the forums, but I don't know many people in the industry.

Cut the first side of snapcut, add a snipe (square or at an obtuse angle).
Cut second side of snapcut, as per usual, lower than the first side.

The snipe should be deep. It doesn't need to be particularly wide, unless you are trying to add 'English', in one direction/ rotation or more.

I generally make the snipe so my horizontal full-dutchman bypasses the intersections of planes by 1-2".

When chunking heavier, I'll come down 2"ish or more on the second side.

Generally, it's no-frills.

Works well when cutting well more than a bar length. I had to chunk down, without overhead TIP, a 5-6' dbh cottonwood with a single stem to about 80' (leave logs lay in the forest, thankfully). I was running an ms660 with a 36" bar. Making a hinge would have been hard. Luckily, it was a cold, wet winter that year, adding to the challenge. Needed the dollars at the time.

Helps if your chainsaw becomes a metal detector (I was in a tv antennae tree, topped doug-fir) or if you get sent up a crooked cutting saw, as you don't need much precision.

Clearly, a sharp chain is right. But sometimes you get two more chunks down and you're on the ground, so make it work.

I haven’t figured a length limit. 12' are easy for me to be judging a relatively plumb trunk's COG by sight. If you see the kerf close AT ALL, Stop on your first horizontal!

Consider crocheting density.

On a side note...
Some people will use a long wedge or stick in the kerf, inserted ay a slight angle from horizontal, lightly placed, to form a "tattle-tale". The Stick or wedge is commonly in the backcut of a standard felling cut. The faller can see small movements magnified by the length of the line/ stick/ wedge. The felling wedges being pounded are straight in the kerf, giving the feller a reference.

Start small, even practice on the ground with small spars in totally no-consequence situations.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What value do you see in it over a conventional felling cut?

Bigleaf maple is barber chair-prone.
I consider that factor whenever cutting maple, hearing and feeling the spar and chunk pop as is cut.
I'll wrap the first horizontal kerf around both both sides, snipe it, then bring in the second horizontal.

This is like a "box-cut" used to prevent slabbing of a log being bucked. All the sapwood and some heartwood cut. There is a square/ rectangle of heartwood under strain. The buck is finished from tension to compression, commonly. If not, anti-binding measures (plastic or log-end wooden wedge in the kerf or reaming the cut).

I always thought a big plus was that there is less cutting involved compared to a conventional cut- the snipe vs a full, open face

Faster, easier, less precision required for the same result, cutting big wood is where the precision is harder (bar length and a half+). Double-cutting with a very slightly j-cutting chain in bigger wood sucks to match up! The evidence and problems of a chain with some damage shows most when the bar is buried.

No ropes, wedges/ax or deep precision cuts.

It's just a simple technique for some basic situations, nothing fancy like hinge- mastery when it counts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think some of my confusion was the snipe. I explained it as being a conventional cut, but that's closer to a rip in speed(slow), whereas it sounds like you're talking about a shallow cut(narrow face) that's much closer to a crosscut(faster).

I always thought a big plus was that there is less cutting involved compared to a conventional cut- the snipe vs a full, open face
If you use a rear of COG hinge, you need to cut deeper and a steeper snipe as the hinge eats energy when bending.

Most people, I would guess, have had a chunk tip, hinge bend, face- close, stallout. Then, you have to release the whole hinge cleanly, to avoid the chunk pulling to one side.

I'll draw a picture. Let me DM @Tree09 for tips.

Brb

When?
When you are on one spar reaching for other spars, taking down all the spars on one trip downward... If the bar can reach it, gravity will pull it over.

Back