Big Leaner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not uncommon to find a big leaner on a slope that has stood for a hundred years or more, because they can grow their roots into something solid on the side of a mountain. On a river flat, like where this tree grows, the ground is pure silt and so the odds are pretty slim against any tree standing for very long with any degree of lean. Certainly the free standing ones, any way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most wind falls on the river flats will pull their roots and heave up a big wad, but a certain percentage fall by the ground giving out under the pressure of their lean. In such cases the root wad will not heave and the tree will be flat on the ground.

Soil failure!

Stig, just be sure you are not the straw that brakes the camels back!

That looks like the kind of tree where you might easily start getting bad thoughts about the weight of a climber being enough to tip it over.
How far out from the trunk would one be when going up a line. 60 feet ?

I doubt the weight of a human would have hardly any effect, just messin with your mind

Burnham, I posted some pictures of a nasty rotten beech we took down with a Coos bay a while ago.

I couldn't reach all the way through the middle with my 24" bar, so I cut a face into the side of the tree, so I could fit the saw in there when i did the tripping cut. Basically a conventional face with a full snipe.

That was one of those times when I'd have used the 880 and 60" bar, if it had been there.

Here is the stump. Weirdest looking stump I've ever done.

Somebody trying to do stump forensics on that without knowing the background would likely have a brain meltdown.

That's great, Stig. Very clever, and proves my assumption wrong...though that's no big surprise. :D

Sure is an odd looking stump, that's true.

That looks like it would be one fun tree to climb, Jerry.
Do you have the GPS coordinates on it, I'll be going to California in June, be fun to pay it a visit:)

Are you coming to our get together?

No, I had hoped to be able to come, but having to fit the scedules of all 3 of us with work/families together we won't be able to make it.
Not if we want to climb Sequoias, that is.
If the GTG had been a week later, I could have come up.
Bummer, but it won't be the last GTG, I'm sure. Maybe I can make the next one.

You guys will just have to think of us when you sit down at the fire the first night. Then we'll be sleeping in the top of a 30000 cubic feet Sequoia:D

Have a contingency plan, its a weird weather year. A ton of snow just fell in the Sierras. I know its June we're talking about but winter seems like it wants to hang on forever here.

Darin, I have several back-up plans if the grove we are spending the week in is full of snow or rangers.

I did the same thing last time we went. Brought a stack of maps and descriptions of several of the most remote groves, so that if our #1 choice failed, we could go somewhere else.
Last time I spent a lot of time gathering information and maps and making plans. This time is easy, just dig out my old notes and we're good to go.

Our local weatherman in Mariposa, Stephen, has assured me that we won't get snowed on in june, so I put my trust in that.

The reason for going early is that we'll be staying in a wilderness grove for a week, climbing as many trees as we can. Last time we were there in august and the creek was dry.I june it should be running.
Being able to fill the solarshower and getting the itchy Sequoia dust washed off after a day in the treetops will be nice.

What the heck, If I can make it, I'll climb it too. Only live once.

Well, parties and stealth climbing don't go well together:lol:

Back