Big Leaner

gf beranek

Old Schooler
I been watching this tree for over 40 years and in spite of its lean it is still standing. Hanging on solely by it roots. It has leaned long enough that its top 60 or 70 feet has grown plumb.

Most redwoods of this size don't last for more than a season or two before toppling from saturated ground and high winds. While other straight standing trees around it have fell this one continues to hang on. It is a rare exception and I think I discovered the reason.

Right behind and opposite its lean is another tree leaning just the opposite way and I do believe the roots of the two have grafted and so hold each other up. Just a theory, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

I have a lot of angles on this tree but these are my favorites. DSCF1781.JPG DSCF1766.JPG DSCF1895.JPG DSCF1912.JPG

Have to get Willie to bring your 090 down for a task like that...or Stig could fly over and I'll loan him my 460 to do the deed...I have a 24 inch bar I could slap on it :D.

It's hard to represent those trees properly in a photograph, but Gerry gets damn close to perfection. Sweet!

Bah! Stig could fall that sucker with the Coo's Bay and a 20" bar no problem!

You know, in all seriousness, I never really thought about it before...but there is no way you could use the Coos Bay cut with a bar length any less than 3/4 the diameter of the tree, I don't think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unless guy lines were used it is doubtful the tree would stay on the stump long enough to reach a favor to the lay. Damn brittle the wood is in those trees. Some good scenarios to ponder though.

Burnham, I posted some pictures of a nasty rotten beech we took down with a Coos bay a while ago.

I couldn't reach all the way through the middle with my 24" bar, so I cut a face into the side of the tree, so I could fit the saw in there when i did the tripping cut. Basically a conventional face with a full snipe.

That was one of those times when I'd have used the 880 and 60" bar, if it had been there.

Here is the stump. Weirdest looking stump I've ever done.

Somebody trying to do stump forensics on that without knowing the background would likely have a brain meltdown.

Attachments

• P1000190.JPG
    P1000190.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 86
That looks like it would be one fun tree to climb, Jerry.
Do you have the GPS coordinates on it, I'll be going to California in June, be fun to pay it a visit:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No GPS needed, Stig. It's easy to get too. Actually, if you felt daring enough you could crawl up the side of it! Some velcro might help with the effort though.

I imagine a coos bay could trip it, but certainly would take some careful pre-planing.

Back