Big Leaner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hendy woods was my first rec-climb bust, back in 76. The park rangers where cracking up. It was the most exciting time they had ever.

The big leaner would be a cool tree to climb, very challenging out of the spurs and flipline. I thought about it more than once, but the shaggy bark down low on the support side would stifle a climbers effort and make the attempt brutal.

The only practical means of entry into the tree would be to shoot a line into the top and climb a rope,, wraptor...

Stig, if you want to do it I'll board you up and pay your bail to boot. Think about it.

I'll chip in, as long as I get to take pics. :lol:

At the bail hearing. :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Once you are off the ground you're good to go. The rangers will wait like dogs.

Bad boys, bad boys.. what they gonna do...

Damn tree climber's anyway.

Staffing is low, we just need to distract the rangers. A little mini bike would mask the sound of the Wraptor.

We used to camp at Hendy Woods when I was a kid, its a real pretty are out there. I went on my first and only snipe hunt there. I say only because one of the kids in the group got mauled by the snipe and we had to call the hunt off.

Blog+Art+-+The+Birds3.jpg

From the picture it looked like it would be a fairly easy shot to set a line in on of the bigger branches.
Then "just" SRT up. There seems to be enough branches to make climbing the top doable by advancing your rope with a short throwline.

We are going back to spend a week sneak climbing in the Sequoias, so My mind is filled up with visions of climbing big trees these days.
Once it gets a little warmer here, we'll be starting SRT training so we'll be good at running up a rope when we get into the trees.

Jerry,If you have the time to show me where to find the tree, I'll climb her.
Or try to, anyway, pictures can be very decieving.

Richard will be going home after the Sequoias, but Anders and I will be going up to Arcata and we definitely want to climb some redwoods on the way.

I'll send you a PM with details.

Jerry,

Have you ever figured or estimated the weight of a tree like the one that you are leaning against? Just trying to conceptualize how much pull is on the roots of the leaner.

It obviously would be a massive root sytem were it standing straight up .I've seen first hand the amount of roots on a big oak .I can't imagine what would be under ground on something of that massive size .Huge would be an under statement .

My neighbor has a big double white ash with about that much tilt .At 4 foot it's a giant for an ash but a mere sapling compared to that thing .

Back