Best Top Handle Chainsaw for a beginner

Good luck on your search for a used one. I am one of those that really like the smaller size chain and bar on the 150. It makes a very smooth and clean cut and dramatically reduces the amount of sawdust produced which is a good indicator of how much it is reducing the load on the saw.
If you eventually feel that you need more power, look up how to mod it. Either way, the 150 is a great little saw.

That wee little 71PM3 1/4" .043 chain suits the 150 well. There is a 3/8 Picco spur drum available for it but unavailable in most places I hear.
If you do find one next step up would be the .043 61PMN 3/8"chain running it on a 12-14" pole saw bar. Full .050 Picco would be too much unless saw is modified as far as it can go for my liking.

And if you can't afford the Stihl MS-150T then take a good look at the Echo CS-271T... great little pruning saw for $300.00 USD...
Slightly heavier than the 150T, but bigger engine and it uses 3/8" .050 Low Profile chain... 63PM 45DL Stihl chain is perfect for it, and easy to find.

RedMax might be one to check out. Basically the same saw as a Zenoah, I believe (same company). Anybody currently running one?

Attachments

• redmax-chain-saws-11.gif.jpeg
    redmax-chain-saws-11.gif.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 46
Now that is one weird looking chain!
Not intended for professional use, I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I am still looking for a 150 or a 193T. I may end up getting the 193T due to the extra power and being able to block down some slightly thicker wood.

Why is that, Dave, have you used Redmax? As I earlier posted, Zenoah puts out a good product from my experience. Wonder if they have cheapened their US counterpart?

Yeah, safety chain, and of the various types, that is the one considered most safe, I believe. I think you can find that on the cheap electric saws they sell pretty much. Bad stuff if you want to get some work done.

I like the idea of the 271. Sort of how I like the idea of the 150 from Stihl. I would be afraid of the performance though.

Not sure why anyone would be worried about the performance of an Echo saw, but a muffler mod and retune makes the little saw a screamer, for what it is. Stock, they turn the 3/8" Picco .050 (Oregon) chain with authority on the 12" (Oregon) bar... with the mods, it spins the PS3 chain on a 14" Cannon bar so well it will bring a smile to your face.

I would take a 193t over a 150t. Better than that would be a 150t to accompany a 201t, or similar.

150t is more money than 193t, and while lighter, its also less versatile.

A 193t seems to fit the most niches, and be cheaper. I've gotten a lot of use with a 192t, pre-200t, even flopping logs off removals, at times more than a bar width.

Not sure why anyone would be worried about the performance of an Echo saw, but a muffler mod and retune makes the little saw a screamer, for what it is. Stock, they turn the 3/8" Picco .050 (Oregon) chain with authority on the 12" (Oregon) bar... with the mods, it spins the PS3 chain on a 14" Cannon bar so well it will bring a smile to your face.

Chain saw snobery. Not that I have not been guilty of the same thing myself. I used to buy Wolverine work shoes in the late 70's early 80's. Someone gave me a pair of Texas Steer workshoes and they were kick ass back then. Too bad not any more.

I think Echo is like those Texas Steer shoes. I have an old one I can't kill.

I have the husky version of the redmax. For the money it's a fine saw. I bought mine with a few tanks thru it for under 200 clams. Opening up the muffler and pulling the limiters off the carb to give it a decent tune made a world of difference. That and obviously ditching the safety chain. I run a 12" techlite and it pulls that very well. My biggest complaint is the chain brake. Easy to engage but not so easy to disengage. Honestly I removed mine, although I cannot recommend anyone do this for obvious reasons. I stripped more than a pound off the saw and I think with the mods I am making around 20% more power.
The only other top handle I have used extensively is a 200t. I love the power and revs but it hate the ergonomics compared to the husky/ redmax.

I have the husky version of the redmax. For the money it's a fine saw. I bought mine with a few tanks thru it for under 200 clams. Opening up the muffler and pulling the limiters off the carb to give it a decent tune made a world of difference. That and obviously ditching the safety chain. I run a 12" techlite and it pulls that very well. My biggest complaint is the chain brake. Easy to engage but not so easy to disengage. Honestly I removed mine, although I cannot recommend anyone do this for obvious reasons. I stripped more than a pound off the saw and I think with the mods I am making around 20% more power.
The only other top handle I have used extensively is a 200t. I love the power and revs but it hate the ergonomics compared to the husky/ redmax.

Interesting post. If it's about power though just get a stock 201/540.

Thanks, forgot I have never posted here before. Been lurking about for a while...

Certainly a 540xp is a big improvement. But really the t435 or redmax gz3500 is a good saw for someone starting out. Rather than buy a $600 climb saw I would recommend anyone getting into climbing spend that money in climbing gear and ppe. Just my 2cents.

Back