Best Top Handle Chainsaw for a beginner

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
I am wanting to move on from using a hand saw to remove branches and limbs and was wondering what is the best top handle saw for a person new to using a chainsaw. I will receive some tuition on how to use a chainsaw safely and will purchase all the required safety gear as well. The main brands available in Australia are Stihl and Husqvarna.

Brand doesn't matter until you know how to "use" a saw. Cutting on the ground and aloft are two completely different things get some training and train some more.

The best top-handle ever made was the Stihl 020 or ms200t. However, they're pretty hard to get now. Husqvarna, thought they are excellent at everything else, cannot seem to make an even descent top-handle, and no one seems to know why. It's like a curse or sometning.

I require my apprentices to put in a full logging season before they get to use chainsaws while climbing.
That is some 1000 hours. By then they can handle a saw well enough to not screw up when working under pressure in a tree.

The 150 chain will be a bit of a bitch to file, for someone not used to sharpening chain.

I'd say 192T. The 200T is the bomb dot com, but I'd hate for a newb to mess it up ....they're collectors items these days!

love
nick

... the budget choice is the Echo. Have two Husky climb saws , sold my O2OT for a hundred bucks a few years ago. E bay says I could have gotten almost what I paid for it. The Echo is plenty saw to start.

I would go with the 192/193 or the 201t,i have and use the 150 but it is a very purpose built saw,pruning not limbing.
like Stig said about the chain,it's not a forgiving one to sharpen for a beginner. 201t is also only a few bucks more than the 150,and the 201 can cut wood if need be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys, will look for a second hand 150T or a 201 due to the high prices for a new one. Thanks for listing the prices Steve Mack.

20t/ 201t too heavy and costly. ~$800 usd.

For a pro climber doing takedowns, absolutely, 200t to compliment a lighter saw.

i reach for my 192t WAY more. 200t for heavier work and where chain speed means safety, like barberchair situations. 192t under $400 usd. 150t ~$500 plus modding.

my husband here is throwing in another vote for the 150t, or alternatively the 193t which is cheaper. We find he goes through chain very very quickly but apparently if you change the bar over to an 050 instead of 043 that fixes the problem with minimal power loss. the original 043 bar might be better for a beginner though because it has a smaller kickback zone.

Back