Best Climbing Helmet?

Hmm...since I "could" buy any and bought a Rockman because it was cheap and accommodates a viser and muff system I guess that is my answer......but I would like to try some others. I didn't like the Petzl Ecrin much.

Vertex Vent, no real reason other than I wanted it ventilated. All the higher priced helmets are nice, IMO.

Big fan of the kask, I find mine very comfortable except I would like one of the updated ones as they have changed them a bit since I got mine. I tried on a newer one and it cinches down so much better. I have a smaller head and I have to wear one of my treestuff sweat bands to make it fit right. But the newer ones are super comfortable and adjustable.

Pfanner protos. Bought one a few weeks back, skeptical that it'd be worth the price, but I've found it to be the best helmet I've ever used. Beats the vertex vent, Alveo, and kask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Vertex Vent, tried on a Kask at the shop the other day and it was WAY lighter...I'd be very tempted...

Pfanner Protos!i bought a slightly loved one this winter and it is by far the most comfortable and coolest helmet I've worn.

Yeah:/:, Kask, Petzl and other ones are all great, but the Pfanner Protos helmet is the best climbing helmet.
GOPR2028.JPG
*photo by 'Madman' Madrigali

The Pfanner Protos helmet created its own class of helmets with the Protos. Complete, all around protection. It's comfortable year round, balanced, and reliable. If I had to choose one helmet to live with forever, this would be the one.

You can do everything better with this helmet -- climb, chip, rope, rig, grind stumps, rake, blow, ect...

Went from hard hat with a rope tyed to keep it from falling
Off everytime I looked up or down,to one of those fancy kask
I really like it better.:lol:
But for a few bucks more u can get the proto

I've had three Petzl helmets and have discovered that the Protos is superior.
It offers better protection and the ventilation system allows better airflow.
It is also designed to have a longer working life, thus making it compatible on price to cheaper helmets over the same period.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys! John has been tossing around the idea of issuing helmets to our peeps. He likes the idea of a bright green to make it easier to follow them in the tree. I think, especially down here, ventilation is a must, but beyond that it sounds like the choice gets very personal.
Pretty much, the only option we have is buying them on line and that doesn't give us the opportunity to try them on for fit and comfort.
Again, just tossing around the idea. Thanks for your imput.

The Protos certainly looks like a great helmet though I have no experience with them. Like Stephen said any helmet you choose should be com capable. The improvment in safety and efficiency is hard to comprehend until you use them. I have not seen any Protos with a com system, why is that?

Nope, sorry Bud but I get totally focused on a project, then when I am satisfied I don't think about it much. Wraptor hasn't changed in 5 years. I think the R's are really nice but the short battery life can really suck

Don't find battery life to be a problem? Nightly recharge, we have set up 4 helmets with r's. I have had bad batteries and sent them back back for new ones.

Having your phone paired up seems to increase the battery discharge rate a fair bit but still good for the day.

Read some reviews on the new Sena's, lots of problems, but the specifications for the transmission range looks interesting. The future is going to bring all kinds of great comm devises.

Back