Helmet stank

I periodically wash with water, and sometimes soap. After using, make sure it gets good air circulation to dry out. I keep mine in a plastic bag hanging in the truck to protect it from sun. When I've really sweated it up, I make sure the textile front is at the top of the bag to get more air. I guesstimate I wash it four times a year. More clustered around the summer months.

I’ll soak mine in soapy water and rise several times and replace muff guts often. But I can assure you there is nothing nastier than putting your helmet on for the first time Monday morning and it starts dripping sweat from last Friday. Eww!

Me too) I've been using this since 2010. In 2010, it was quite a hot summer here. The temperature was stable around +30°C. This forced me to abandon headphones and develop a forced ventilation system. We have a saying:,, Keep your feet warm and your head cold,,. However, I think that at high temperatures it is necessary to keep all parts of the body cold)

How does this help with the helmet ventilation?
less sweat, less crap hanging off the helmet to block airflow, im sure theres a few others

ive figured out stopping my helmet from the stank, I just dont wear it unless I have to, soon as im on lunch, in the truck, or not under a climber it comes off (back on when I need earmuffs for chipping but I also have ISOTunes for that)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
less sweat, less crap hanging off the helmet to block airflow, im sure theres a few others

ive figured out stopping my helmet from the stank, I just dont wear it unless I have to, soon as im on lunch, in the truck, or not under a climber it comes off (back on when I need earmuffs for chipping but I also have ISOTunes for that)
Gotcha. I don’t have muffs on my climbing helmet either. I hear you about removing it. When it’s hot, my helmet and chaps are removed very frequently- only as needed basis.

I only wear a helmet if im in the fall zone, in a tree, or chipping something like hickory, my climbers helmet needs new SENA wiring, his got cut somehow so we dont have comms at the moment, which we only use on crane jobs anyways so im not worried about that lol

Hearing protection's important. You don't notice the damage til it's done, and the decline's so gradual, it takes awhile to notice. Between WWII and farming, my uncle was stone deaf. It's my goal to not be like him. My ears have done surprisingly well considering what I've put them through. I'll run the 2511 for brief periods without muffs, but every other saw requires cover. I've been using plugs shortening grass the last few years. My ears are happier when it's over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hearing protection's important. You don't notice the damage til it's done, and the decline's so gradual, it takes awhile to notice. Between WWII and farming, my uncle was stone deaf. It's my goal to not be like him. My ears have done surprisingly well considering what I've put them through. I'll run the 2511 for brief periods without muffs, but every other saw requires cover. I've been using plugs shortening grass the last few years. My ears are happier when it's over.
Wisdom. I wear muffs on the mower and using the weed eater, using a jackhammer, angle grinder in some situations, and 90% of the time when running saws on the ground. I do run the 435T aloft without muffs but justify it as it’s very intermittent during a 4 hr a week (avg) climbing session. Not saying I’m right to do that and I’m a pro at being able to rationaLies

That plug set Andrej showed us looks good though.

I will wrap a fresh blue shop paper towel around some parts of the helmet at the start of the day, then leave it out with the underside exposed to the full sun on days I'm not working. I'd probably do a quick wash with laundry detergent if it got bad. Nothing beats detergent.

I don't remember in over 20 years ever washing a helmet, straps or padding.

Yeah they can hum a bit but there are worse things in life.

I do change the hygiene kit for ear muff though... when I remember.
. Tried to quote Mick as well , I just don't care if or when it does "stink". Usually a thing like that is really about working , sweating , what you eat and drink , and airflow in storage imo. Haven't stored helmets in truck cab for years but back when , friend (who, coincidence rocks same exact helmet) when worked with me was always bitching about my helmet .... stuff like "your helmet stinks , you need to run it through a dishwasher" on and on blah blah blah. We were finished with an around back rig and lower job and were both taking trips lugging all the gear back to truck in driveway . Loading I looked up and saw John coming around the house carrying a six foot pole , with the hook and my helmet on the end. Was a shot but extremely
funny.

I hate stink, especially on my head, and it's easy to remedy. My newer helmet still smells a bit like new rope even though I've washed it once. I wish I could buy that scent in a bottle to renew my gear :^D

Back