Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Nick. Thank you for posting this compilation !!!!!!!!!
It was lots of reading. I can get all the height I need with the Big Shot
Its the pin point accuracy that will help make life easier. . Hitting that 8"×12" window at 50-70' up. Lots of aggravation hitting the trunk of the tree 3" away from the window 3 times in a row.!!!!!

We have a bow and arrow setup in reserve...its reserve now since I got a big shot.

A horse panic-snap is a cheap and readily available trigger for the BS. A bow Release is a step up in price and performance. The Wichard Clip is around 80 or 90 bucks. Don't know, it the better ones are that much better. We've hit 150' shots with the horse panic-snap for 8 bucks. I prussic a rope on the bottom of an 8' pole for shorter shots and 12' for longer shots. If you're tall, you may prefer the 12' all around, as my guy Erik does at 6'3". I used utility cord to tie a VT with each eye around the metal piece where a strap or lead or some other horse word would go on the panic snap. I run the bigger cord through this metal rectangle as well. This acts as a 2:1 MA system, progress capture, and prussic minder all in one set up, for $8 and scrap rope/ cord.

My Big shot has been a big help setting a high TIP from the ground. :D
Now that I have it set up with a snap shackle release it's VERY accurate! ;)
Used it yesterday to set a TIP at 60' in an Oak. The "target" was pretty good
sized, about 24"x 24". Nailed it first shot!(don't be fooled, I can't do it every time, yet) :roll:

A horse panic-snap is a cheap and readily available trigger for the BS. A bow Release is a step up in price and performance. The Wichard Clip is around 80 or 90 bucks. Don't know, it the better ones are that much better. We've hit 150' shots with the horse panic-snap for 8 bucks. I prussic a rope on the bottom of an 8' pole for shorter shots and 12' for longer shots. If you're tall, you may prefer the 12' all around, as my guy Erik does at 6'3". I used utility cord to tie a VT with each eye around the metal piece where a strap or lead or some other horse word would go on the panic snap. I run the bigger cord through this metal rectangle as well. This acts as a 2:1 MA system, progress capture, and prussic minder all in one set up, for $8 and scrap rope/ cord.

I've definitely got to set up a "progress capture" on mine, that would really "finish it off" to be completely user friendly. :thumbup:

Sean,
do you have any pictures of your Big shot setup? I sure could use a little help. :?

I've definitely got to set up a "progress capture" on mine, that would really "finish it off" to be completely user friendly. :thumbup:

Sean,
do you have any pictures of your Big shot setup? I sure could use a little help. :?

It the ONLY way to go!
Look in the arb catalogs, there are pictures of the snap they stock. I went to the marine store and bought the exact one. Just set a prussick with accessory cord around the pole and attach it to the snap. Then you attach the snap to the finger loop of the pouch, pull the whole lot down, and the prussick will capture it on the pole.
I replaced the short pit of string on the snap release with a longer bit of throwline cord and a little toggle, makes it easier to deploy.
I also cut the rubber tube off the finger loop on the pouch pull.

That's a simple setup, some folks have put micro pulley in to make a 2:1 or more system, a bit easier to pull but not entirely necessary.

I have the snap and I've set up a 2:1, and even 3:1. MUCH easier to pull back, just not with the progress capture.
You're using just a prussic directly on the pole? And it doesn't slide? What size cord are you using?
I like the sound of your setup. The simpler I can get it the better. :thumbup:
Thanks for the tip. :D

Looks like you're using an eye-n-eye attached to the bottom of the snap. Also looks like 3mm(?) cord?
What is the purpose of loop of cord around the pole and attached higher up on the snap just below the "spring" ?

Looks simple and straightforward, I like it. :thumbup:

Yes 3mm, the loop at the top keeps the snap from "recoiling" when you release your throw ball, It all comes in a kit, well worth the price in my opinion

Yes 3mm, the loop at the top keeps the snap from "recoiling" when you release your throw ball, It all comes in a kit, well worth the price in my opinion

Well, I already have the snap and the cord. Looks like it will be really easy to put it all together.
Thanks for posting up the picture and info, I'm gonna try that(maybe tomorrow). :thumbup: :D

Oh so THAT'S how it was meant to be set up! I got the kit with my bigshot from treestuff.
But I have two 4' poles so doing it like that I would have to put a bit of cord in the finger pull of the pouch...oh, so that's what the other bit of cord was for...haha

I just made the white cord long, snug it up under the join of the poles, and I pull the pouch down to meet it, clip it in them pull down.
Yes, it recoils but it has never hit my hands...

Two pictures attached, one is pulled down, one is just as I fired it, you can see the snap recoiling past my hand

Attachments

• ok now i need to get it over that branch der.jpg
    ok now i need to get it over that branch der.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 147
  • ok second try got to work.jpg
    ok second try got to work.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 150
Great pictures!
Looks like you have some heavy understory to work with, that's always a challenge all by itself.
I also have the one with two 4 foot sections.
Thanks Fiona, that's a big help! :thumbup:

You're welcome.
Yes, that property is practically a jungle, a VIP lives there and sight lines must be obscured. See the smile in the seond pic...that's when you know the ball is going where you want it to!

Good pictures, Fi. The only thing I'll add is y'all be sure to wear those safety glasses. The rubber breaking could pop out an eye in a hurry.

Back