Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Yes, Sean i was ddrt to the top. I think a lot of it had to do with it was lightning struck and higher i got the more damage i seen. But, yes Climbmit insisted on a ddrt system as well as i did.

Ive never double wrapped my lanyard.

If you never get nervous in your career, you need to stop at once before you die.

Thanks, Sean, and Tucker for the insight. LOL.. I'm just glad im not the only one that gets a lil uneasy on the way up.

In 5 years you will be in a tree doing your thing and think "5 years ago this would have freaked me out".

Mark my words.

Thanks, Tucker, hope it dont take 5 to get that use to it.. By the way i just read your quote and that is funny...

A double wrap on any stem will increase stability, sometimes at the expense of move-ability that a more experienced climber will be doing, unbeknownst to the climber (micro adjustments with a little hip-shimmy.

I find fir bark to be more dependable than pondo pine bark, which is our most common larger pine.

A little hip thrust in toward the bole will allow a climber to grab both parts of the 540 wrap and flip up the tree pretty normally, except perhaps they will run a bit more slack in their flipline.

This is good fall arrest if you are change in your climbing system on a smooth bole. It works on slick/ smooth bark, like our madrone, too. Leaning stems, like our madrone, useful, too.

First off Ch 74 you did great! It takes time to learn this and this was a dead pine. More hazardous than a live one but still strong. So good job bud!

The Good:
Also he is very in tune with what he is doing. He pays attention to every detail. I agree with practice and getting use to his equipment will help him build confidence in his equipment and his self. He did really well correcting the angle of spur penetration. I told him once well maybe twice :D On another note he was more nervous because his life line was attached around 3 inch diameter and 3 inch long stubs. I should have set a Alpine Butterfly once I came down from taking the top off. Instead I just Ddrt around two stubs on the stem. I don't know if this is practical but I personally use this when I don't have HH or RW perhaps an adjustable friction saver could have also been used.

In 5 years you will be in a tree doing your thing and think "5 years ago this would have freaked me out".

Mark my words.

Yes sir I agree 100% 5 years ago if a tree was dead I rarely touched it! Now I turn down about 2% because it cant be climbed and not accessible by a lift.

Ditto, I have often found myself thinking, wow, look what I'm doing now, no WAY could I have done it 5-6 yrs ago. Time allows you to build experience and gives you the confidence to take on bigger trees and more complex jobs. My learning curve is still ascending!
A little bit of nerves causes greater focus on some jobs...slows you down, can make you safer for the day.
I remember before running my first multiple tree crane removal job I spent 20 mins in the toilet getting rid of breakfast. Took a deep breath and got on with it. The day went absolutely perfectly, and I was so charged at the end it took an hour and two beers to calm down!

Well and big thanks to Mark. I had fun but there was a lot of worries that day. I just got back in from climbing a pine in my yard. I got to my tie in point " alpine with a screw link" around trunk. Probably 30-40 up easy. But anyway before i got off my life line i double wrapped my landyard and set up a ddrt and went back to the ground i felt good . I started to climb the pine behind my house today, got bout 15 feet and looked up and seen hornets.lol. So i thought i better find a diffrent one till it gets cold out. But moral of story i felt good. It had a slight lean to it , but I remembered what climbmit told me bout the high side is better to climb. It went well, tomorrow's brakes on the van then im going to climb. But im getting more confident with the spikes although i feel the spikes are to long, feels like high heals on the second smaller pine with the lean i climbed.

LOL. Thanks Bermy, The ascent is same with me till i get to branches then im A ok. Most of the time.

You're losing money not having one! A cheap trigger can be made, too. I've hit 150'+ with halibut line twice for two trees. An accurately placed, high-TIP is a enormous help overall, short term (the individual tree) and long (body preservation by working smarter). Setting pull lines for felling, you can't beat it.

I'm going to order a backup pouch/ rubber tube so I am never without. If mine breaks unexpectedly, can I really wait 2 days, most times, yes, at a significant production loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great pictures of the work ClimbMIT and Charles.

Going back to a previous thought about double wrapping a flip line, I took a couple of pictures today to help visualize a point.

DSCF5612.jpg

That’s a 5/8 inch wire core flip line (now junk) around my 21 inch dia. chopping block. Holding the sides where the lines cross I can walk that up a spar quickly and easily just rocking back and forth, for and aft.

DSCF5615.jpg

That is around a 15 inch pot, not touching at any point with inches to spare on all sides.

That dead pine, happy to shed bark as you climb, is exactly one of the times I would put a wrap around a tree (if I were minus the long life line.) Another time is as I get further up a spar with no limbs and start to feel ‘ansi’ about the possibilities of slipping. Another time I would use it is on smooth barked trees like Euc. when I am X amount higher than the ground or last limb. And still one more is the more tired I am the sooner it gets employed.

Even though I have a plan for ripouts and automatically angle my climbers in until they catch again it is jarring to the knees and spine. For me it’s slide a few feet and get jarred, or put a wrap on and only slide down inches to a foot.

Back