Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Footplates are what I thought of , too. I'm only 145 lb but after awhile the spur "cup" you stand in (the bar that goes under the arch of the foot) bothers me. Stout boots with good arch support are needed if you don't use a footplate...even then the bar will talk to the feet.

I have not used them before...but I can see where a footplate for heavier folks could make a huge difference.

You might be able to make some out of plywood, too. I ran into a guy that would plywood foot plates that would last several months or more of our wet weather. Don't know how they compared. One thing with the foot plates, if you wear a big heel boot, it will shift your foot up, possibly causing a conflict with your ankle bone.

Cadillac Pads were a revelation for me. Whatever you do, get good pads. I've only used Klein spurs, but I'm very happy with them, the offset Gaffs are sweet. Go slow, make sure you don't spike through your rope and/or lanyard. . . First thing I did on spurs was spike my lanyard. . .

Cadillac Pads were a revelation for me. Whatever you do, get good pads. I've only used Klein spurs, but I'm very happy with them, the offset Gaffs are sweet. Go slow, make sure you don't spike through your rope and/or lanyard. . . First thing I did on spurs was spike my lanyard. . .

I use the same pads w/steel spurs.

:lol:Grendel your not alone. I managed to spike both my other foot and my climb line on the first tree I went up in spurs. :|:

At 300 pounds, spurs are gonna start to hurt pretty quickly. Make sure you use added padding in the form of a soccer foam shinguard under your pants... wear it a 'lil sideways, towards the inside of your leg. I've been putting mine on now for over 30 years and AFAIK I'm the only climber who does that.

Butch,
I don't use them now but I used to use those soccer shin guards under my spurs, but when I changed over to the Caddie pads I didn't need them anymore.
It's a great way to get a lot of extra protection for just "pennies". I still have them and consider putting them back on every time I wack myself in the shin with a chunk of wood, limb, or other hard object..... :banghead: :|:
I was incredibly fortunate to be able to purchase a set of CF Geckos and now my steel Bucks with the Caddie pads are hanging up as my "emergency" backup set.

I think I will get the working climber dvds and the Climbers guide or companion. I am not sure which book is right for me, maybe both?
I wear White's loggers for fire/sawyer work. I figured they would be the ones for climbing too as they have a ridiculously strong arch.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I would concur. Jepsons book is good for the basics of getting aloft safely. Jerry's book offers a lot more details in all around treework. I'd get both! Like I did.

Just wear the pads turned to the inside a bit. Trust me, you'll know what I'm on about after your first climb.

Well, I guess this is it. I just ordered Fundamentals of General Tree work and working climber series one from TreeStuff.com
No quitting now!

Congrats man. The working climber sets are great. I'm still trying to master the boomerang toss for a traverse. You'll see. :)

Congrats man. The working climber sets are great. I'm still trying to master the boomerang toss for a traverse. You'll see. :)

I can't say enough about those working climber DVD's. :notworthy:
Jerry has a very relaxed, easy to understand way of teaching. If I can "get it", just about anyone can..... :lol:
I love the boomerang toss! Took me a while to "get it", but I can actually use it with some success now. :D

I love it when a guy takes good advice (OUR advice!! :D )

You are on the right track.
:thumbup:;)

Remember, low and slow, you can do it! :thumbupold:

Back