Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

I got a question for you guys. I'm wanting to learn to climb. Would it be better to purchase a climbing kit that has a saddle, spurs, rope, throw line, etc, etc......, or would it be better to buy individually and kinda put together my own kit?

I want to learn too. The kits are attractive, but I have sometimes found when I buy any kind of kit that something in the kit did not work for me or was otherwise not needed. Maybe it is different in tree climbing.
I am going to piece one together.

These guys will Know what to do.

I want to learn too. The kits are attractive, but I have sometimes found when I buy any kind of kit that something in the kit did not work for me or was otherwise not needed. Maybe it is different in tree climbing.
I am going to piece one together.

These guys will Know what to do.

My same experience with most ''kits'' as well, but ever bought a tree climbing kit.

Don't buy a kit. Those kits were put together for employers to buy for their employees.

Put your own kit together. This sounds like a good topic for a new thread!

In Scappoose,Yep.
Quite an experience.
I have 3 pair, all custom made.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When ordering a custom pair of Wescos (and I would suspect FireFighterZero’s Whites and others) you can have them put in double shanks to stiffen up a set of boots for supporting weight on climbers.

I’m going to go post a bit of a warning on custom Wescos in the Work Boot thread.

I actually bought a basic "kit" when I started climbing.
If I knew then what I know now I definitely would have bought each piece "separately". :thumbup::D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of spurs do you use Butch?
I am also having a hard time picturing your sideways shin guard technique.

I assume that the pads are replaceable? If I were to say want to try something else Nick?

Jim, Have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your enthusiasm for learning and climbing. As a way to conserve money and get the right product first time I would look to try gear out before buying anytime possible.

I recently switched from Bashlin steel insert pads to the aluminum ‘caddy’ pads. First I tried the Bashlin steel insert angled pads thinking they might be just right - no. Still always a mild annoying pain. Caddy pads, no pain. And yes I totally agree with Butch they are bulky.

By the way what I get out of the Bashlin climbers is that they make a jog around my ankle bone. I first climbed on a inexpensive pair of steel climbers for a few days. They always rubbed my bone a little and it would be mildly sore. Saw a guy with Bashlins and asked to give them a try - never looked back.

In Scappoose,Yep.
Quite an experience.
I have 3 pair, all custom made.

I've only been there once, but it sure is refreshing to see a quality outfit. One day a few years ago, a friend was at our house, and we were talking about climbing trees. She says her family business was making boots for that. Turns out her grandfather was John Shoemaker.

I've got one I just learned about the other day.
Maybe it's common sense/knowledge to some but it took me three tries to figure out what was going on.
OK, so here is what happened. I wanted to set a line about 55'-60' up in a really nice TIP above where I wanted
to work but, it was a "tight" target with a lot of small, surrounding limbs that would grab my throwline if I didn't
just about bullseye my target. The obvious choice was to use my Bigshot, so that's what I did. So now I come to
the point. My first shot was lined up perfect but came up a bit under the target limb. I set my next shot about 6"
further down the handle, that's gotta do it, nope. That shot came up even shorter. I had an idea what was going
on but tried one more time with almost a "full power" shot and it barely went 30'!!! ](*,)

The temperature was about 15 degrees, it's the cold right? I didn't know about that, I do now.
I ended up hand throwing, took 5 tries(my hands don't work well in the cold, I've had frostbite on both of 'em)to hit the limb.
So, I guess everyone that uses their Bigshot in the cold keeps it warm somehow?

Lesson learned, hope that helps someone who doesn't already know. :D

My advise- check, check, check, check, check and recheck snaps and biner gates- (as well as ANY life support). Sooner or later the device will fail, but your mind WILL NOT if thinking in this way-

I learned a bit of a lesson recently with the Big Shot. That is when windy don't shoot cross wind out of a bucket anyway. Don't know if a cube would have helped? After hitting my mark once, adjusting, twice, adjusting more everytime the line would blow over to the nearby tree. Usually like baseball for me 3 strikes then try another angle or TIP. I shot upwind and it was all good.

FFZ, I'm a bit lighter than you but a lot shorter. :) I also used foam pad inserts this past year. I set them inside my tall Viberg boots and lace them up. They really helped. Your Whites are pretty good but you will still get numb feet. My Viberg 105 T with the Urethane sole are awesome and I don't feel the spur stirrup. .
One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give you is start working HARD on your chin ups. For rope climbing its mandatory and for spurs and flipline it is really important!! And do LOTS of Ab and obligue work out. Like pretend you are in marine corp boot camp. !!!! .
It is better on your shoulders if you use a cable pull down system to start building the muscles you need to hand over hand climb a rope.

I myself aren't crazy about the Caddy pads and if you get them MAKE SURE THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO FIT. Spend an hour in the spurs with the caddy pads that are too small and it'll make you repent of climbing. Bin there done that. I have 20" calves.
I really like the Big Buck pads. They are like wearing pillows on your shins.
For a Saddle you will need a Weaver Cougar. . I Ligered mine and it is good, safe and it fits.

Hip thrust, just put your hips into it! I still get part way up and stop realizing I'm making it harder and not using my hips.

Back