Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

FFZ, do you know what size saddle you take?

Sizing on Buckinghams is

small 28-32
med 32-36
lrg 36-40
Xlrg 40-44

Not sure if other brands size the same.

This just belongs here..... What not to...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3U4Qeuborn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is pure lucky he didn't neuter himself or worse. When he put that bar between his belly and that tree you knew something very bad was about to happen. Time to either learn from your mistake, or put in your application to Walmart as a greeter.

FFZ, just sozs ya know. We don't NEVER want to see you do something like that.
It's always best to cut things off a tree as lite as you can! Plus, plus, plus all the other stuff that guy did wrong. And be careful in that cottonwood.

Dang that look like it mighta' hurt! I watched it full screen, I see a cable or rope up top, and it almost looks like the tree is moving a little the whole time even from the start of the video.

FFZ, just sozs ya know. We don't NEVER want to see you do something like that.
It's always best to cut things off a tree as lite as you can! Plus, plus, plus all the other stuff that guy did wrong. And be careful in that cottonwood.

Thanks! I guess i need to see stuff like that! The outcome would be much different in my case, you simply can not get this much mass moving that quickly and have a good outcome!

You dont suppose someone did that to the climber on purpose do you? Seems like they would know better. If it was a joke the guy on the pull line would be sifting through his stools for teeth.

I had a large broken branch to remove today...about 20" dia with the ends resting on the ground, butt was up abour 20' ish.

We did it SLOWLY...constantly assessing tension and compression, thinking about the 'what will happen if this goes wrong'...making sure I could get out of the way, and/or not be in the way.
It all went well, but understanding fresh tension and compression is crucial, it can kill you in the blink of an eye.
Relieving cuts are your friend.

In the description, he says that the tree was leaning hard over the house. So the pull line is sideway, as it seems for me on the vid, with not so m1uch force. The main motor is only the top's weight, maximised by the heavy lean.
I guess that he made just an undercut instead of a face cut, then the back cut acted as a snap cut, releasing the top at max speed. Problem, he didn't have the time to finish the cut and a wood strap remained on the side. By this strap, the top gave an hard pull on the trunk. Finally, it teared the wood under the cut, releasing the trunk at full flexion. Physicaly, the climber can't follow the movement. That's very hard for the back, I have two bad recalls with that. Not such a ride though.

I didn't know that a chainsaw could fly!
R.I.P. the ms200T.

Back