August Hunicke Videos

Wow, what a vid! Massive job producing the vid I'm sure, thanks for all the hard work and sharing.

Love the massive detail shown. If somebody wants to learn speed lining, this is The Vid.

One question, despite all the detail: is the speed line slacked at the end of the limb's run to "land" the piece or is it tight the whole time and the limb hits the ground at the end of the run at full speed?

Did you switch to rings for the wood cuz they are more bombproof than binirs?

Is a swivel in the 4-1 real important or is it kinda gravy-nice to have but not super important?

Chamfered edge on the stump?? Nice touch!

Shock waves when zipping down the saw- very nice, never thought of that.

2 F's in' Efficiency' :P

Good on ya for waving at all the local tree guys...Some of em don't wave back, don't ya hate that??:lol:

Everybody is somebody's weirdo, Lol!!

Thanks, AH

Wonderful job on that Pondo zip Aug!!

I like the warnings you put up for the new guys :thumbup:

I was a little worried about the angle of the zip line on that big wood, but looks like it was fine;)

Your zip line kits looks like a winner, I need one

very BOLD statement Jed.
deployed zipline other day,me and one guy,enabled us to tackle 2wice the amount of tree by skipping the horrific drag through the rocky slope. Str8 to the chipper!!

The view of the ground around the tree at the end of the vid clearly shows normal roping would have been a lot of work.

Hey AH, btw, what did you do with the trunk way down low? Slice cookies in the air? Fell it and dice it on the ground?

Ziplines have there place for sure...August did good with them, 2 houses close by, put all the carnage away from them..

Awfully BOLD. I would think that living in an area of tall skinnies, you would use them a lot to reduce the drag. I've done a few that were a waste of time but quite a few that saves my ground crew a ton of work.

Great video August. When you switched to the double lines, did you tie them as one or seperatly to your tensioning device?

Jed gotta be joking or buzzed.
I will answer you guys soon. Teaching daughter to read..

Jed gotta be joking or buzzed.
I will answer you guys soon. Teaching daughter to read..

If you teach her to read one day she will read things people post on the internet, so yeah, maybe teach her how to run a saw or train seeing eye dogs or something.

This is just me, but sometimes I will spend an extra hour in the tree to save 4-5 hours of groundwork...

On an unrelated matter I am currently selling firewood specially selected by skilled hands for starting bridge fires...

I don't do a lot of speed lines because I live in Ohio and most of the trees I do are way too spread out of a nightmare to make it effective, or they are dead as shit ash trees that I don't trust with the shock load. That being said, a means to rapidly set a speed line and a shit load of slings can save hours. You have to spend the money to have the shit to do it, but the cost savings on labor make it more than worth it.

All bullshit set aside if you think a speedline is always a waste of time you either don't know how to do it or don't have the right shit to do it. Hows that for a bold statement?

I don't mean to offend. I do mean to maybe persuade a guy into looking into doing some research and maybe making more money.

It's only a waste of time if you use it when you don't need it.

What the hay? Have groundies forgotten how to drag brush? Or operate a mini-loader or Kubota?

Speed lines have their place, but used when not needed = time wasted rigging, tensioning.

But what do I know...

The only tension we use is the weight of the guy on the end of the rope. He might walk it around a tree if it's too heavy, but that's it....rarely needs any more. No different than a guy holding the end of a lowering line....only, gravity does the work, you don't lower anything.....nor pull the line back up to the climber thereafter. Rather, the next piece is already slung and ready to go. The ground man just has to stand there, holding the line and unclipping slings from limbs at the landing....which is usually as close to the chipper as he can be. Zero skill, or judgement needed on his part. A fuckin simpleton could do it....I should know.

We take on some huge trees, just me and one guy. There's no third guy to maneuver and drag stuff from the bottom of the tree. Without knowing how to zipline, quickly.....I just couldn't compete with the bigger companies around here mate.

Agreeing with Reg.
We do it a lot here as a labor saver. Right tool for the right job.
Demograpically, it is a huge tool against lack of labor, steep hills, tight cluttered drags..... I have a list.
You would frig your ground crew on steep hills if you decided lowering was faster for the climber.
Keeps the damn dead tree mess in a smaller area as well. Less clean up. JMHO.

This was a speed line tree.
Would have been a pain in the ass "conventionally."
I didn't speed-line it for video sake which seems to be the implication. Put the wood and brush closer to the exit point for both, plus moved it out and away from the close to the trunk "leave" trees and kept the action and traffic away from the brand new residence and river rock wall below (and neighbors retaining wall right above.) Plus kept everyone way away from under me. Brush was turned into a quick easy drag downhill free of side-hilling and landscaping. Majority of wood was magically placed by gravity to a place where it was easily processed to rounds and gravity rolled into a trailer without having to sidehill monster rounds with sensitive targets lurking close.
Seriously guys, this was a smooth one. Conventional lowering and negative rigging (which I am extreeeeeeemly familiar with) was lame by comparison, even if it was perfectly executed (which could have been arranged ; )

Wow, what a vid! Massive job producing the vid I'm sure, thanks for all the hard work and sharing.

Love the massive detail shown. If somebody wants to learn speed lining, this is The Vid.

One question, despite all the detail: is the speed line slacked at the end of the limb's run to "land" the piece or is it tight the whole time and the limb hits the ground at the end of the run at full speed?

Did you switch to rings for the wood cuz they are more bombproof than binirs?

Is a swivel in the 4-1 real important or is it kinda gravy-nice to have but not super important?

Chamfered edge on the stump?? Nice touch!

Shock waves when zipping down the saw- very nice, never thought of that.

2 F's in' Efficiency' :P

Good on ya for waving at all the local tree guys...Some of em don't wave back, don't ya hate that??:lol:

Everybody is somebody's weirdo, Lol!!

Thanks, AH
Yeah, edit was a big investment of time.
Shooting video was pretty easy. I've gotten pretty efficient at that.
Dang! I misspelled efficiency in my commercial!!! That sucks!
Swivel is definitely very important. Now we have a Rock Exotica swiveling 4:1 though so we don't need that set up.
Incidentally, as Reg said. Most jobs don't require much tensioning. This one did because the limbs were so heavy and I had trees directly under me to protect. Limb zipping even with heavy limbs doesn't require much thought/effort once you have height, which didn't take long to achieve here.
Yes, the speed line is slacked/calibrated by the man on the other end, for on-the-fly placement. Often limbs are done in clusters and tension is calibrated beforehand and not slacked until the last limb in the group arrives. Then, the guys process that group far away from me while I set up the next group. Bam bam bam bam bam.
Yes rings pulling down with heavy wood is less like a knife on the line and impossible to come off.
Thanks for your ever-observant and respectful ways Cory.

Back