August Hunicke Videos

Funny you say that. I just told some friend of mine, not a half hour ago, I need to learn how to say that in six minutes LOL

I made it to 8:17..
I think he gets the point across quite well by then. I've seen a rope go through the chipper too and that'll change your perspective from "ya ya" to "holy shit"... I have been meaning to make a video about it too... OUrs was a rigging line (half in ch true blue of course) that was out of the tree and being flaked into the tupperware... I had two little branches to throw into the chipper, max 1" each... for some reason I didn't feel the extra weight of the line that was caught on them as I tossed them into the chipper, just before going to idle it down... Next thing I know I was on the ground grabbing my ankle rocking from side to side in pain. I happened to be standing on the rope as it got yanked out from under my foot... turned the ankle so badly it broke... I think we estimated the speed of the rope to be about 100-120 mph... friction from the rope running past the man's leg, who was flaking it into the tpperware, burned a hole in his pants just above the ankle... crazy thing ... Good points about the human perspective August...

ps... that's the last time I wore low tops on a job.. Multiple factors again.. Had I been wearing real work boots I wold have stood up, brushed my pants off and go back to work..I was lucky to get back into the bucket in 10 days... guys would get it to the ground, then I'd hand off the crutches before hopping in...

I might have missed it, but how did the rigging line haul him up the tree as it went into the chipper.

I'm sure this vid will make some people think.

Interesting you use 2 cams for that vid...sign of experience.

Going to be giving this in a speaking club that I'm in.
The buzzer will go off in six minutes.
It's actually super cool to get confirmation from real people that it's too long.
On another note, different people are showing this to their crews around the world. It might be helpful for anyone who has had this experience to make some of their comments in the comment section on YouTube.
Really interesting details Daniel.
Love the affirmation Paul. I've seen it twice too and seen it avoided narrowly many times.

Here ya go....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F12LAqs7GjE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LbLTPIFh1Ks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is the video about the shear bar made reference to.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hpLBe8RuTtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

great vid August, you're a natural born story teller/ professional ranter :) in the bay area in Cali there was a rope + chipper related death before i moved here. now it seems to be protocol when climber and chipper are in any sort of proximity for the ground crew to stage the brush till the climbing is done, then chip it all. occasionally they may do a quick chipping in the middle if the piles are getting outta hand but brush and rope are already far from each other. seems to be a good system, sounds slower but it's really not. as a climber you appreciate not having to worry about your rope, the job sight being quieter without the chipper going and having the whole crew focusing on getting the branches down and you out of the tree.

Back