August Hunicke Videos

Awesome shot with the simul-tops, that was cool. Were they all your climbers, or were you working alongside another crew or 2?

Interesting direction to run toward the end of the video. . .

Thanks y'all, fun job. All those guys were guys who looked me up and came to work for me as a result of my video work.
One of them is now a cc, (Travis Barney) another is part time for me and full time for a friend company, (Joe Boyd) the other is full time for me (Derek Matichak.)

Yep, the route was not optimum but easier to cut trail that way. Not optimum but calculated and deliberate at least B)

The simul topping was probably fairly easy using Senas, eh?

That multi topping had me for a minute. I thought how the f--- did he split the screen 4 ways. Then I realised 4 climbers haha. Very good. Why did you run parralel to the last falling stump? Why run anywhere at all ? It was just an un weighted stump falling into some scrub ?

The simul topping was probably fairly easy using Senas, eh?

Travis doesn't have one yet. But yeah with all being connected it would help. Not really easy. We missed it a bit. Mine should have led a little. Maybe next time. No do overs on those : )

you can use cell phones in a conference call, bluetoothed to the helmet if one guy is without. Put his on speaker phone in a chest pocket.

That multi topping had me for a minute. I thought how the f--- did he split the screen 4 ways. Then I realised 4 climbers haha. Very good. Why did you run parralel to the last falling stump? Why run anywhere at all ? It was just an un weighted stump falling into some scrub ?

I was a bit lazy really. I was brush-walled into the inside corner of a triangle and chose that route because it was easiest to cut. Sensed there would be dynamic movement and didn't want to be right next to it but wasn't paranoid enough to go through the effort of cutting paths through the real thick stuff opposite the lay.

Gotta say, to a logger, that looked like some silly tomfoolery.
Great video apart from that.

I was a bit lazy really. I was brush-walled into the inside corner of a triangle and chose that route because it was easiest to cut. Sensed there would be dynamic movement and didn't want to be right next to it but wasn't paranoid enough to go through the effort of cutting paths through the real thick stuff opposite the lay.

Well, you were there, so. But August, on camera it looks like it belongs in a 'how not to' vid. No matter how much dynamic movement there may be, that stumps only going one way, forward. 4 steps back on your part would've been more than enough. You look like a crazy guy trying to out run a falling log....youre not even looking where it is. I'm sure your undercut was clean....but for a less experience cutter to mimic than move, a slight Dutchman on a de-limbed log like that and he's toast. And then, on the very next clip you're laughing about it, or appear to be. Thousands of tree workers are going to watch that vid, new an old, cinsider that. I'd have never left that in a vid without explanation. I wouldn't have had it in the vid, period.

Ya it's unlisted now, but Benn didn't run in front of it. Could take no steps back. Confident all you pro friends would have not batted an eyelash if you were there. Still I pulled it for sake of appearances. Thank you friends.

Laughing bit at end was actually shot in the morning on the way to the job.
Purpose of video was just to go with the music. High energy fun.
All work as dodgy as it may appear at times was calculated and deliberate. Reg's statement about appearances and impressionability of those looking up to me is compelling to me.

I think I will remake it with somewhat of an explanation for those who saw it to begin with (Some 12,000 on the fb version.)

My style is one of deliberate intention even though I go outside the realm of standardized textbook practices. But I definitely don't like the appearance of willy-nilly. I feel the need to address that. With influence comes responsibility. . . to a point.

A good thing to realize, Aug. Your vids are wonderfully evocative and inspiring...and you are right to see that with that visibility comes some measure of responsibility.

And Stig is also right, imltho...there is a degree of tomfoolery here that could turn off some pros. Of course, any effort put into video capturing arb and other varieties of tree work could potentially be seen that way. Not judging, I love the visuals, but it's worth thinking about from time to time.

As AH put it, when you are "brush walled" into a corner, or fence walled, etc, sometimes that direction is your only option.

I think I will remake it with somewhat of an explanation for those who saw it to begin with (Some 12,000 on the fb version.)

My style is one of deliberate intention even though I go outside the realm of standardized textbook practices. But I definitely don't like the appearance of willy-nilly. I feel the need to address that. With influence comes responsibility. . . to a point.

Unless you were standing at the edge of a cliff, river or hell fire....then, you can't really justify to an audience how your deliberate manuever was a smart one....all things considered. Run away if you have to.....don't just run for the sake of it....especially if it puts you at greater risk. People trip, and fall themselves.

What you got on there, a couple hundred views already ?Lots of likes and 'awesome' comments. They probably didn't even think about the end. Just cut the end off and say nothing. Nobody will be any wiser. You start editing/ explaining about a missing segment and the whole thing will look fishy. Don't look for trouble.

Yup. It is kinda a weird feeling running in that direction. And as Reg points out, people could trip...

True Reg, Yes, I don't want to justify it, That's why I said here it was lazy. If I do any public explanation, It would just be to admit that.
Just between us though, there are a couple other dynamics that I'm not explaining even here that would cause the pros not too bat an eyelash if they were there. But blah blah blah, due to the weariness of the subject.
Like I said something that takes too long to explain isn't worth having.

The no escape route felling , makes one nervous. Yet it is part of the job at times.

As in many aspects of tree work..."faint of heart need not apply".

And the opposite corollary..."you have to know when to hold 'em , and when to fold 'em". Some situations are just too risky to proceed with, and to last in this biz, you better develop a sense of which you are facing, every damn time you go to put a saw in wood, or climb a specific tree, or any of a hundred other day in and out exposures to hazard.

But it's a magnificent way to make ones living, is it not? :)

Back