August Hunicke Videos

That was amazing August. Great vid.

Im amazed, how much got crammed into those few minutes....and yet, it was smooth and easy to follow. I would've took a few photos of that tree at best....but you turned it into a great little vid :thumbup:

We walk on roofs all the time without giving it much thought. Having the guy stood right underneath catching the logs as your sawing through them, while stood on the roof.....not sure about that bit Aug. But, it worked out. Good job.

Reg, we do too.
But it isn't legal.
So we usually tie in to a chimney or such, just in case.

Didn't mean to be a safety nazi.

Reg, we do too.
But it isn't legal.
So we usually tie in to a chimney or such, just in case.

Didn't mean to be a safety nazi.

No its a fair point Stig. We tie in also if its steep or slippy. But often is the case you just get up there without really thinking about the legalities.

Yup.
Did one job on a millionaire's mansion a few years back.
Glazed tiles and steep roof.
So we ran a line between the two chimneys and tied in to that, walking real carefully.
Glazed tiles and sawdust makes for slippery footing.

Worked fine until I went up to blow the roof clean. Slipped and broke 4 tiles with my butt!

Luckily the owner had a stack of replacement tiles in his garage and I put in a couple of years of roofing in my youth, so replacing them was no biggie.

But I still felt pretty dumb, when I broke those.

Yeah... I believe rule is tie in if over ten feet from eaves lowest point, to ground. I didn't measure.
Yeah you did, it was 9.5 feet, remember.
No its a fair point Stig. We tie in also if its steep or slippy. But often is the case you just get up there without really thinking about the legalities.
Hundreds of times....
Yup.
So we ran a line between the two chimneys and tied in to that, walking real carefully.

Worked fine until I went up to blow the roof clean. Slipped and broke 4 tiles with my butt!

Luckily the owner had a stack of replacement tiles in his garage and I put in a couple of years of roofing in my youth, so replacing them was no biggie.

That's funny, we won't work on/walk on a tile roof. We'll fly over it with a blower in the bucket but otherwise the home owner can hose it.

The roof walking is a good point to bring up. What we do daily is far more hazardous than just walking in a roof but technically or legally speaking we should be tied off. I know I don't think twice about walking a roof but probably should

Thank you friends.
Do you guys think my stuff could be incriminating.
I just show it cause it's standard stuff, whole career.
I imagine if someone YouTube'd a burglary or something it would be great evidence for the cops. Is it the same for operating procedures that are standard for most of us but not kosher in some manual somewhere.
I hate to sterilize videos.
You guys probably noticed, I obviously edited out quite a few shots where I was long bar cutting over my head in the first part of this video. . . Just so I could minimize some of the safety Nazi feedback that comes in the Facebook groups.
Any thoughts on that?

I just figured it was to make how the cuts happened more mystical and therefore interesting. Lots of times folks edit stuff to create mystery. I was looking for a power pruner on the roof or something, the perspective made it look like reaching with a long bar wouldn't be reach enough.

The incriminating part? Not likely imo but in some extreme instance some extreme lawyer might get creative....

Yup.

Hardass on more than the apprentices!:lol:

My safety rule for working on roofs and the box of the truck---don't move your feet unless you're looking at them. As easy as tying in twice. Way too easy to have a little branch piece become a roller under your foot.

I have chain links welded on top of my box for ladders. I suppose I could use them as anchor points.

I hate explaining every move I make to the armchair qb's so I try to avoid posting much video that has anything in it that isn't top shelf.
I tell my guys to tie into the boom if they're actually working from the top of the trucks.

I wonder how many cuts total on that tree? probably 150... no question that the crosby saves a lot of time on a job like that.... you made a PITA tree look fun and easy... what's really amazing is that amidst all those cuts, and tight LZ etc., you took the time to set up those cameras... that shows patience and dedication to the art of making tree videos.. you;re the best! making movies is story telling.. that was a good story...

Well. That's one way but not always access and trees are kinda tall around here. . . And I don't have much money : )

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QW7r_GeW2Go" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another fine vid, thank you!

I would dig slightly longer duration shots in general. I know that more, quicker, shorter shots can suggest excitement or intrigue but I think that is something a lot of vid producers could do better on. If a shot is worthy of inclusion, then it should be on screen long enough to take it in. JUST my 2 cents. Keep em coming!

I hear that occasionally. But myself… I can't sit through most tree vids.
I think most people are like that.

Back