Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Have him come on over and sign up! :thumbup:

I took the Cooper's hitch for a "test climb" after work today. I don't think I had it tied "exactly" the same as in the picture..... :?
I used 4 wraps and one full twist under that, looks almost the same as the picture. To start with, I did the climb SRT with my
HH. I set my rope about 40' up(I'm getting better with the Pantin, only kicked off the rope once on the way up:D). The hitch
advanced super smooth with no problem whatsoever. When I stopped on the way up after I kicked out, the hitch grabbed solid
and secure. When I got the Pantin back on the rope and continued the climb the hitch picked up right where it left off, super smooth.
When i reached my TIP, once again, the hitch grabbed solid and secure. I advanced my TIP about 15' and the hitch continued to perform
great. On the descent I was initially very tentative, not being familiar with the hitch(I had my flipline around the tree for safety). It seemed
a bit "grabby" at first. After getting confident with how it was releasing I had no problem with the descent. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking
this hitch could be an outstanding performer. Sorry, no pics or video. :( My initial thoughts on how it performed overall are very good.
It does have more slop/set back than the HH hitch, about 2,3 inches more. Personally I don't have a problem with that.
I also set up my flipline with the Coopers hitch, it worked great, better than any other hitch I've used so far.
This is just a "first use" review, I plan to continue to use/tweak it to see how it will work over time..... :popcorn:

I got a new hitchiker last week, traded a ropewrench for it. Its just as great as my old one. There is nothing wrong with my older one besides some aesthetic 'character' that it has accrued.

I'll call Sam tomorrow and see if he is interested. He is a down to earth, no bs kind of guy, so when he told me that I'd like that hitch. I didn't hesitate.

NH...glad to be an 'inspiration'...been sewing the tails of my lanyards for a long time.

Long live needle and wax twine

Hand stitching.....simple and effective, when done correctly. :)
I'm not too proud to admit I've done my share..... :D

Thanks again for your "well timed prodding". ;)

Possibly deserves its own thread, but here goes. HH is new to me 20+ climbs doing work and some low and slow at my house. Tall hand throw with base tie that needed advancing. I lanyard in un clip HH to re route to higher tip, knew I wanted to get the tail all pulled though first. And next thing I know I had let the HH go (habit with normal hitch) so as I had the tail of my climb line th HH became inverted and as it advances so sweet it was instantly out of reach.
I didn't have to repel to get it back (long lanyard) thankfully but it was a eye opener and I felt in some way it should be noted.
Anyone else ever come across this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh yes I have! I was in a 80' Red Oak. I used the Big Shot to set my line. No limbs until about 40'. I had basal tie I was advancing my tip with the RW and the rope slipped out my hand! I had a 24' extension ladder that didn't cut it. The Big Shot was still out and I had my ground guy take the shot. Well he hit the spot first try thank God! This may have to go in the tips for beginner's thread :)

You gotta block it with a knot... even if it doesnt self tail out of reach it might not make it through the crotch without a knot above it. Sometimes you need a knot on both sides...

Thanks Nick. I have read everything on this site HH related and have been taking everything srt related to heart Do not ever recall seeing any posts of the stoppers. Till now never forget them after today!

Coulda been on TB, Joel. I've run across this situation, and know how to deal with it (blocking knot), from a post somewhere, IIRC. My HH was within reach, stuck sliding down as the rope when up and across a branch above me. The other time, I still had the rope on each side of the TIP/ Redirect in each hand respectively, allowing me to pull the HH back down to me and install the knot.

Marlin spike below the HH before you redirect. Use the biner on the HH as the spike. It will not run away and you can pull it over the limb with the tail as needed.

How would you use a marlin spike on a climbing line???? . I'veused my HH on about 15 trees sofar . Mostly for descents. It sure is smooth and grabs very well. So far mostly DRT. I started doing something today as to tying and carrying the huh up the tree. .
I don't know if its kosher but it saves having to retie it when I get to the top of a tree I'm side Limbing.
When I get to the ground and pull my line out of the tree, I pull it back thru the huh and tie a stopper knot in the end of the climb line leaving the BeeLine in place then chip the steel biner to my saddle. I clip it where most guys have a cara tool. When I get up the next tree to where I want to tie the climb line in. I just pull some slack thru, throw the end over what crotckes I'm going to use, unclip the huh steel biner and clip it to the biner on my rope bridge pulley. Then tie the other end to that same biner with an anchor knot or a bowline and descend. . I hope my description makes sense. . It is faster for me and saves potentially dropping huh parts.

How would you use a marlin spike on a climbing line???? . I'veused my HH on about 15 trees sofar . Mostly for descents. It sure is smooth and grabs very well. So far mostly DRT. I started doing something today as to tying and carrying the hh up the tree. .
I don't know if its kosher but it saves having to retie it when I get to the top of a tree I'm side Limbing.
When I get to the ground and pull my line out of the tree, I pull it back thru the hh and tie a stopper knot in the end of the climb line leaving the BeeLine in place then chip the steel biner to my saddle. I clip it where most guys have a cara tool. When I get up the next tree to where I want to tie the climb line in. I just pull some slack thru, throw the end over what crotckes I'm going to use, unclip the hh steel biner and clip it to the biner on my rope bridge pulley. Then tie the other end to that same biner with an anchor knot or a bowline and descend. . I hope my description makes sense. . It is faster for me and saves potentially dropping hh parts.

Last edited:
Cold Logging,
welcome to the Tree House. :)
I've double posted a few times, I don't think computers "like" me very much. :lol:
I've had my HH since the end of last year and have been using it ever since. Many times I'll leave it on and pull my
climbline through same as you, seems to save me time. I'm mostly using it for SRT, but I do still switch over to DRT
when when the situation seems to call for it, I love it. :thumbup:

CL, are you using a hitch hiker and hitch climber in conjunction?

When threaded properly, the HH biner will fairlead the rope through the HH.

Consider having an emergency descent situation. Having the climbline preset can save your bacon. A friend found a large paper hive the other day when he was going to take down a cracked branch on his own tree. Luckily, he saw the nest just in time before sawing and vibrating the branch.

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I can't get an end back to the the ground. Since these cottonwoods are pretty indestructible I walk up them with my spurs and repell down. . But sometimes I need to have my climb line set before I start up. . A foot ascender is on the list for this Friday. And make up a knee ascender. Then I'll be able to go up without the spurs. But sometimes I can't advance my line more than 4' at a time.

Not using them in conjunction. I have a pulley on my rope bridge that I hang from I have a Rock Pirate on it and that's what I clip the hh steel biner into. And tie the end of the line to.

The way it's been explained to me, and now that I understand I agree 100%, clipping a 'biner to a 'biner is very dangerous in any situation. It is very possible for one of the 'biners to turn and get side loaded which could bust it open and drop you out of the tree if it's being used for your "life support". :\:
Just something to think about..... :)

Back