Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

I am constantly switching between the HH and RW, depending on which type of job I am doing. And the Rope Runner, well that has opened up a whole new world my friends!

So what task is more suitable for which tool Chris??

Paul, what I find is the HH simply can't be beat for removal work, especially when I need to cinch up tight to the trunk when blocking down pieces, whereas with the RW, during pruning work, I can tend it better when limb walking. I pretty much run the HH stock without a micro pulley, which might make tending it a little harder. Most of my work is 50/50 removals/pruning.

Fact is, I just love both Multicender tools, so I just mix them up. I should have said, "depending on which type of job I am doing AND my mood."

I have to say I find there is a world of difference between the arbormaster 16 strand and the vortex. The 16 strand works good but the 24 strand makes the HH feel very natural, easy to use and feels very secure. TreeStuff delivered to Ontario in 2 days and for a great price! 150ft of Vortex in Ontario is over $220 CAD plus delivery, and 2 weeks away! My order from treestuff was the vortex plus some hardware and it didn't break the $190 mark! I'm still interested in trying some 7/16's rope, but I think I've bought too much lately....
IMG2805.jpg

Indeed I found 24 strand to work much better too.
I went from XTC to Tachyon.

You might want to try tying your hitch so that the legs are on the other side, towards the aluminum heat sink.
Vortex is a very comforting and secure feeling, like holding onto an umbilical cord......God, what a memory!

I think I just might do that.

Congrats on the vortex Raj I use that all the time :thumbup:

Yes, what DMc said, switch it around

Congrats on the vortex Raj I use that all the time :thumbup:

Yes, what DMc said, switch it around

thanks! I'd love to give the hitch a try the other way, but I'm with the girlfriend this weekend and she doesn't know I bought the HH and the new rope..... and I don't feel like, ahh, you know. blah blah blah nadder nadder nadder but first chance I get I'll do it!

All this talk of Vortex–which I don't have–has made me jealous so thought I'd try out some fat rope namely NE Hi-Vee. Normally reserve this for Ddrt jobs but had a Eucalyptus scoparia to prune last week that had a good crown spread and no central leader. Time for two ropes and two SRT devices.

20140911_Longueville_scoparia_2ropes.jpg
(I re-isolated the blue rope after ascending that side of the tree)

Had the RW on the Hi-Vee and HH on the Bluewater Assault Line (11.7mm). The Hi-Vee was a bit bouncy on the initial ascent but great for moving around the crown. I'm assuming that Vortex would be similar?

20140911_Longueville_scoparia_city.jpg
Nice view of the city (Sydney)

20140911_Longueville_scoparia_finished.jpg
Finished product.

Nice pictures, and nice work. :thumbup::)
I use Arbormaster BRW just about exclusively. That rope will take some serious abuse. ;)
A little "bouncy" on the ascent but really good up in tree. It is a bit "heavy" so I'd like to
try something lighter, when I can afford another rope.

Now that I have a RW(ZK1), I've been using that and my HH. I like 'em both. :thumbup::D

I've been using blaze. I like the smaller diam. The xtc fire retired to rig line, that xtc is some tough stuff. I made a chew toy out of it for my dog she's been chewing on it for a week now and just managed to undo all the knot's i put into it.

Randy, I to should have a zk-1 soon. I'll keep you posted my friend. :D

I really like the zk-1, you can adjust the ride alot more than other devices. Great pics arborlicious! How do you like the assaultline?

You might want to try tying your hitch so that the legs are on the other side, towards the aluminum heat sink.
Vortex is a very comforting and secure feeling, like holding onto an umbilical cord......God, what a memory!

That's a very good point Dave. It took me ages to notice that i was occasionally tying wraps the 'other' way and it makes a real difference to how the dogbone engages. I don't think I ever mentioned it on here so thanks for posting.

Charles,
definitely would like to hear your feedback on that ZK1. :thumbup::)
Buy or make a "good" tether for it and "play around" with different hitches to get the right hold/release
performance that works best for your climbing style. There are some good "starting points" with having
a good setup, like a "good" tether, a "good" tending pulley, etc. I learned from the guys hear at the 'House
and many others who have proven out a good basic setup for the RW. Use what they have already learned
and proven out, then take it and tweak it to work for you. That's what I've done it saved me a lot of "headaches". ;)

Great pics arborlicious! How do you like the assaultline?

The Assaultline is great for long ascents - absolutely no bounce at all.

I remember when first getting into the whole SRT thing a few years ago thinking how great it was not having to worry about isolating a limb. Now I try really hard to isolate a branch to tie into from the ground. Mainly to approx. half the force on the limb (as opposed to a basal tie off) and also to remove any bounce when the rope is riding over other branches. Feel lucky that my climbing career only kicked off about 5 years' ago and at least half of that has been SRT.

Back