Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Your's looks to be rounded about the same as mine. I'm also wondering if fiction with the slick pin is just pulling the fuzz off of the "well used" rope.

If you descend on a figure of 8 you get a build up of fuzz on the device. Thinking what you are seeing is the same kinda thing, just what happens from the friction.

You will get shavings on th e slic pin . I was alarmed at first but realize d that is what happens . I watched the ring to ring Cambia saver and it also developed fuzzys.

If you descend on a figure of 8 you get a build up of fuzz on the device. Thinking what you are seeing is the same kinda thing, just what happens from the friction.

Thanks Paul! I usually dont worry much about little things like this until it is a big problem. I have a new climbing line though and wanted to make sure before I used it with the RW.

Yeah no worries, I've been running mine on Vortex for awhile now w/ no undue wear issues. If you look at the lower biner on a HH you see the same thing. I LOVE that Rope Wrench. It's just so smooth, it's like regular DbRT friction on the single line. love it.

Yeah no worries, I've been running mine on Vortex for awhile now w/ no undue wear issues. If you look at the lower biner on a HH you see the same thing. I LOVE that Rope Wrench. It's just so smooth, it's like regular DbRT friction on the single line. love it.

:thumbup: What friction cord do you use?

Well, after all this thread reading my HH arrived today from Treestuff, had a quick little test climb on 1/2" allgear neolite, works good, flattens the rope a bit, now to try it on my 1/2" arbormaster, which is my main climb line.....I wonder when I can sneak an order in for some Samson vortex?

Have fun with the hh! I will say that the tether from wesspur is my favorite by far. I've spent so much time after a tether that stays tight and in place on the biner and I've found the opposite actually works better. Wesspur's tether is ridgid so it holds it's shape. The eyes are also just loose enough that the spine side can slide so when u advance it slides up and pulls the top of the biner up instead of sticking on the spine and turning it sideways like all my other tethers would do.

The tether from treestuff actually did that so often I hated it! That's what made me try the one from wesspur. I've been so pleased I think I actually forgot that could happen, good point

Might be because of my often switching to Ddrt and hooking both links into the Bat Plate. Puts very thing tight together which can push the tether up and over. But, something to watch for. On SRT I think it may have happened once because of squeezing through some branches. Not dangerous as it creates extra friction. Just something to be wary of.

That makes sense with the ddrt. I posted a pic I found pages back where someone ran their line behind the tether and then connected to their ring. I wonder if that would fix that. I posted it and completely forgot to even try it out

:thumbup:

Just watch on the tether as it will sometimes creep up over the head of the HH... Binds like a sum beech. During work positioning.
Great tether though.

Had that happen for the first time a few days ago and wondered why the HH locked up.

Not having much luck with 8mm Armor-Prus with either a 6 wrap or 5 wrap hitch. Back to HRC for me.

It is interesting how different we all are and what works for some and not for others. I simply love 8mm armor-prus. Five wraps on the HH hitch sliding on soft, fat Vortex, is so smooth and nonfussy for me, that I have stopped trying to find something better.
I also find it interesting how many of you keep going back to DdRT even after coming to grips with the SRWP system. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have used DdRT in the last few years.
We may all be doing tree work/climbing but the tools and systems we choose are as different as the people we are.

It is interesting how different we all are and what works for some and not for others. I simply love 8mm armor-prus. Five wraps on the HH hitch sliding on soft, fat Vortex, is so smooth and nonfussy for me, that I have stopped trying to find something better.

It's most likely related to the climbing rope I'm using - Blue Water Assault Line - 11.7mm. I'll get some Vortex with my next Treestuff order–looks like nice rope.

I also find it interesting how many of you keep going back to DdRT even after coming to grips with the SRWP system. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have used DdRT in the last few years.

Definitely prefer SRWP but will still pull out my 30' rope and simple prussik for short DdRT climbing.

I like the mechanical advantage of DbRT. Less hardware. But I get what you're saying. For pruning/deadwooding, ascending, SRT is bomb.

Wow that must be like utopia.

I like the mechanical advantage of DbRT. Less hardware. But I get what you're saying. For pruning/deadwooding, ascending, SRT is bomb.

A foot and a knee ascender are the only extra tools I carry for ascending. Once up top, the knee ascender gets hung on my harness and never gets in my way. For the very few times that I need extra umph to get myself out of a tuff spot, I attach a small prusic loop with a revolver carabiner for a 3 to 1 haul system.

A DdRT system just feels so inconsistent due to varying friction and slow because you only go half as far with each pull on the rope, that I feel like a duck on water. Lots of moving arms and rope but I'm not getting anywhere fast.

Back