another Morbark question

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...what do you torque the knife bolts to ?? ... Manual provides a torque table but also says to find a good spec through trial and error. 3/4" Fine Thread Grade 8...table says a bit above 400 lbs. ...seems ridiculous and a problem in the making. Guys at Morbark said tight enough so they don't come loose. Right. Been tightening to 150 ft. lbs...

Mine are 385 ft pounds of torque but I think they are 1 in coarse. Maybe 7/8

Pretty sure my bandit calls for 170-180 as well. There may be different torque specs for drum and disk chippers.

Your bandit probably had counter sunk bolts? I had to buy a $500 torque wrench when I got this chipper

I can't remember if it's fine or coarse thread .I can remember drilling the things out twice on Tom's machine becuse he omitted using never seeze though .That's a job .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...around 150 now ... Some time and use will tell
Highly doubt bolts will loosen and back out of the drum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When new I actually had them way too tight , then went conservative. Problem is I was using flex bar w cheater and guessing the ft. lbs. Must a guessed wrong. Now accurately torqued with a loaner click type wrench. Will buy my own shortly w a six point impact quality head.

This is a parts chipper I bought thinking I might rebuild it. I'd say a knife holder broke loose, knife meet anvil and things went south from there. Blew the pillow bearing caps on both sides and the top guarding was gone. Must have been the scariest thing ever...

Back