Morbark question

Altissimus

TreeHouser
...single bed knife held to the drum w 4 large fine thread bolts. Also a plate about the thickness of a heavy duty washer. Since I have owned I have suspected the plate.... Told the guys at Morbarky first year that if I was a machinist I would have to describe the plate's holes as "out of round". If not "wallered out" even....they said no worries just run it. Fast Fwd to now , had a hellish time removing and destroying one of the bolts today. Plate holes are ovalized. Drum is hardened Steel , Bolts are grade 8 ...maybe discard the plate made of soft steel and add hardened steel washers instead.... Good Move ? Or Bad ..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
....I could get a pic next time I have it apart....obvious weak point is soft steel sandwich between hardened. As far as I can tell the plate is really just a washer for clearance anyways....plate has been bending and changing shape since I bought chipper new.

I put washers I the plate. The plate helps keep material from packing around the knife as bad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...will hit the plate with a quick file and wire brush...then re install with the hardened washers , new nuts and nevasieze in the threads. Washers will help provide a more accurate torque pushing against the wallered out soft steel. Should have done this long ago.

I don't see exactly how is your system, but the soft steel plate could be there to cushion and spread the clamping force from the bolt's heads.
Maybe not.

Back