Acceptable base tie-off for SRT

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 10K
I'm probably just wasting my breath here, but truly "zero advantage" to this system? It is simple, requires nothing more than your climbing line and some forethought. Will it work in every situation? No. But neither will half the tools you carry to the job in your truck.

Jack, if all you have to do is unclip your lanyard to facilitate a rescue that can be done even with a pretty severe injury and is generally faster than the fastest climbing rescue. You are getting to that age where you could indeed need rescuing on tree entry, think heart attack, stroke, aneurysm... :) Let along struck bys and bees. And when in an injury situation, it is nice to have choices. It is always better to not limit your thinking or your choices.

Dave

I'm probably just wasting my breath here, but truly "zero advantage" to this system? It is simple, requires nothing more than your climbing line and some forethought. Will it work in every situation? No. But neither will half the tools you carry to the job in your truck.

Jack, if all you have to do is unclip your lanyard to facilitate a rescue that can be done even with a pretty severe injury and is generally faster than the fastest climbing rescue. You are getting to that age where you could indeed need rescuing on tree entry, think heart attack, stroke, aneurysm... :) Let along struck bys and bees. And when in an injury situation, it is nice to have choices. You can do better than limiting yourself by having only one outlet.

Dave

I'm going to have to go back through this thread and make sure I'm being understood; I fear a misunderstanding has occurred...but at the moment, here's what I was trying to say:

I don't like the idea of the SRT anchor set up so that the rescuer on the ground has to attach a seperate line, arrange and anchor a friction control device, and cut the connection between an alpine butterfly and the base tie-in. That's the system I see no advantage to.

I far prefer having enough rope, set up with a locked off descent control device, all ready to go, should things go south aloft. This system I see as absolutely advantageous.

I agree completely with Dave...a climber could easily be way beyond handling self-rescue, but still be able to release an attached lanyard.

I'm going to have to go back through this thread and make sure I'm being understood; I fear a misunderstanding has occurred...but at the moment, here's what I was trying to say:

I don't like the idea of the SRT anchor set up so that the rescuer on the ground has to attach a seperate line, arrange and anchor a friction control device, and cut the connection between an alpine butterfly and the base tie-in. That's the system I see no advantage to.

I far prefer having enough rope, set up with a locked off descent control device, all ready to go, should things go south aloft. This system I see as absolutely advantageous.

I agree completely with Dave...a climber could easily be way beyond handling self-rescue, but still be able to release an attached lanyard.

Yeah, there were some mixed messages and "a misunderstanding has occurred" -- certainly on my part ... my bad. But, on my questions, too. They were real questions, not rhetorical.

I'm still not buying ALL of the 'rescue-anchor' thing. Great link, bstewert!!! Apparently, others are not buying it either.

However, that being said, if pressed to use a ground-anchor/lowering system; the following video shows a technique that has to be the most efficient (simple, no hardware) and intuitive enough for anyone to use except for the most cerebrally challenged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIKI0AhzIY

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIKI0AhzIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
very simple and concise, love his vids, seems an easy tie off too. :)

Back