A Couple of Dragons

I once caught a neighbour's cat with a Conibear set for raccoons in my backyard.
A complete surprise to me and especially the cat.
Was worried "Cat Missing" posters were gonna show up on mailboxes, but nothing came of it.

My buddies bear hound came home with a 330 coni on its head many years ago. How that dog lived is a mystery.

I used to catch old "Duke" my shorthair retriever in a muskrat trap quite often.Those big ole paws it never hurt him a bit .Duke was a biggun,about 92 pounds and could clear a 5 foot fence by about a foot if he wanted to. Good dog just a little stupid .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My buddies bear hound came home with a 330 coni on its head many years ago. How that dog lived is a mystery.
That was one hard-headed dog. I've seen beavers mashed flat as a flounder by 330s. Caught myself a few times in 1 1/2 double coils. Used to snap 'em on the meaty part of my hand just for show. On the fingers it's a different story. Never caught a cat in a coni but I can imagine!

I don't know what #Coni it was. Got it from a friend who is a trapper, and he said it would take a fisher.
The cat got clamped around the hips and was very much alive till a .22 CB fixed it.
Got 4 coons that summer, but they got 9 of my young turkeys, so there was warfare.

That cat must've been moving fast! Those CBs are super quiet but I had to use them in a rifle for the coons, they just didn't have enough zip out of a revolver. The wife got one of those doggy doors with the magnet on it a few months ago and I told her the coons and possums would figure it out sooner or later and sure 'nuff I woke up the other morning with the garbage turned over in the kitchen and muddy coon tracks on the tile floor. I told her I could set a conibear in the doggy door and she gave me one of those looks. I guess I'll have to borrow a live trap.

I once set a Have-a-heart trap to get some pesky racoons, and instead caught my dog.

I asked the X, " You seen Pee Wee today?" NO, was her reply. So I checked the trap. sure enough.

Fellow I did work for a few years ago gave me a box of cb caps, or bb caps. (Not sure exactly what they are called, but a neighbour calls them cat killers)
Quietest little (tiny) .22 round imaginable! Can't buy them up here anymore.

A hunter friend loves these new .17 caliber rifles for varmints. Quiet and effective.

I dunno how much they cost. Apparently what they cost is worth it to a lot of hunters.

They're good for woodchucks and squirels. The bullet is too small and too fast, lacking frontal mass to penetrate into game with any meat on its bones. Ive lost fox with 17 HMR's with well placed shots. Not a bad caliber. But not one I continue to use. They really drill that tiny bullet at the target like a laser beam. As a result, the bullet tends to explode on impact. In the case of head shot ground hogs, good. In the case of wanting to preserve the hide of a larger furbearer, bad.

Not a bad round. It has its place, IMO.

The advantage of some of those hot rounds is they disintegrate on impact .In the open country in this neck of the woods using something like 30:06 you could hit somebody in the next county .I mean they have a hell of a range .

Back years ago when I fox hunted I carried an 06 using 55 grain 22 caliber sabot rounds with a muzzle velocity of 4040 FPS .They would bring down a fox no problem but would self distruct on a snowflake .A few of the guys used 221's one guy had a 17 Bee .

That 2 bucks a pop is pricey but since this frenzy of gun action here of late all amuntion is pricey .

Yea, it's real pricey for a rimfire cartridge. I'm glad I stocked up on the other rimfires before the election. I called a buddy on election night and told him if Obama won he wouldn't be able to buy a BB the next day, much less a bullet. He put in a big order that night and is glad he did. I haven't seen a .22 bullet in a store since. How 'bout you guys?

I don't think 22 rimfire is a problem ..223 is though .

Just like anything if you create a shortage the price will go up .

Ammo is creeping back up here in the North of Montana. We can find .223 ammo once in awhile as well as .22 lr. I reload for everything i shoot and even bullets/ primers/ powder is sometimes scarce. I keep a lot of .221 Fireball ammo on hand but not much else. I have 4 .221's, its my weakness.

Whereas here in commieland, you can get it at any dealer, no problemo.
What is the world coming to:lol:

Back