A Couple of Dragons

Limbrat

TreeHouser
IMG_0029.jpg IMG_0015-2.jpg

Here's a couple of lizards we guided our friends from Illinois to. Something for you snowbound northerners to look at while you're feeding the fireplace and dreaming of warmer climates. Pretty cool here right now, supposed to freeze tonight. Whoops, they loaded sideways, sorry. Me on left-top in upper pic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They've already been devoured. It is really good, smaller ones are the best. It's standard procedure to cube the meat from a big one, it can be a little tough if you don't.

Impressive!

Cool use of the marl to keep their heads straight. How heavy are they? Both male?

There's enough hide there to make a dozen pairs of western boots or 50 billfolds.

Somewhere Mrs. Smith has a purse with a whole baby gator on it .Head ,feet and claws and tail . Probabley made in the 60's before they outlawed such things .

I think they are laced that way prior to being sold.

Cool vest!

Attachments

• alligator-vest-back.jpg
    alligator-vest-back.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 58
Tried to bid on a gator skin violin case on eBay a few years ago.....but it ended up selling for around $1G, which kinda exceeded my budget by about $750.

Impressive!

Cool use of the marl to keep their heads straight. How heavy are they? Both male?
I can tell you're a rigger Cory, most folks would've never noticed. They're both bulls between five and six hundred pounds. The females normally don't get over about eight or nine feet. I've never heard it called "fishy" before Al. The big ones have some dark meat that is pretty strong but we trim all that off and it's fine.

Did you do anything with the skin?
Hey V, those hides were sold to a processor but we have had some folks do some interesting things with them. One lady we guided had a seat cover made for her Harley and it was WAY cool! Man I love that vest. That's off the gator's back and the "scutes" (each of those ridges you see sticking up) are actually made of square, flat pieces of bone that are nearly impenetrable. Here in Florida we must take the gator with a handheld harpoon, bow or crossbow with a fish arrow or a snatch hook. Most attempts at sticking one in the back result in a bent point and an educated gator. We can't set hooks with bait like you see on the TV shows. This is all up close and personal. Pretty wild and exciting sometimes too.

What's a snatch hook. Which route did you take?

I've never heard it called "fishy" before Al. The big ones have some dark meat that is pretty strong but we trim all that off and it's fine.
I've only had it a couple times when I was in Florida .It could have been simpley the fact it might not have been quite as fresh as it should .

If I had my choice of Florida seafood type stuff it would be Florida spiny lobster over gator .

Back