7th Largest Tree on Earth

That is one massive blowdown!

Jay, as for how much usable wood there is in a tree like that.
Enough to build a motel.

That certainly is a rich color that the wood has turned at the motel. Wonder what they finished it with? I don't think that Redwood normally gets thought of for interior paneling, but it certainly is attractive when it's Redwood like that.

Lots if not most of the older houses up in the Redwood belt have interior panelling ( and everything else) made from Redwood.
Back then I think itb was mostly finished with a shellac coating, which gets quite dark over time.
My friends in Arcata wanted to lighten their house and talked about tearing the old, darkened redwood panelling out.
I told them it would be sacrilegious and if they did, they should take it down carefully and send it to me.
That made them decide to carefully cover it with sheet rock, so an eventual new owner of the house has the choice of removing the sheet rock and enjoying the original panelling.:)

I don't know what has been used at the Curly Redwood lodgew, but the wood has a wonderful warm glow.
It is a nice place to stay for a woodworker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The woman in the OP redwood photo ... we were set for a big tree shoot this weekend. But after several folks had been mentioning the nice Lupine above Redwood National Park, we swapped locations. I usually don't take photos in bright light, but wanted to try the challenge of bright daylight and portraits. Can imagine a bride and groom in this area.

Lupine_2_1200.jpg

Kiera_Lupine_1200.jpg

Lovely! They also used the beautiful Redwood for studding. I tore apart a house in Watsonville that was made that way. Fine looking material that was hidden in the walls.

I don't know what has been used at the Curly Redwood lodgew, but the wood has a wonderful warm glow.
It is a nice place to stay for a woodworker.

Did you notice the table in the lobby? It did not look cut by saw, but possibly split (?) .... but it had a look much like this curly redwood I found last weekend.

Attachments

• Curly_600.jpg
    Curly_600.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 63
I sure did.
I ran all over the place, taking pictures of the wood.
Had been wanting to stay there since forever, but were never in Crescent City for an overnighter.
Then when I visited Willie, I realized that if I did a speed run to the coast, I could make it in time to sleep at the lodge.

Wow, beautiful! I like the pictures with the lady in the dress the best, brings an elegance to the scene.

Wow, beautiful! I like the pictures with the lady in the dress the best, brings an elegance to the scene.

The dress ones are more or less my favorites.

Actually, the woman in the neon green tights posted recently, was what started the dresses series. She wore a patterned dress and posed by a redwood tree in one park, then later that day, on a stack of logs too, in Eureka. In fact, I've got one photo of her in a red dress by one of the world's tallest trees, but hadn't posted it yet. Her name is Jenni .. out of Arcata, CA. The other woman is Kiera out of Crescent City.

This photo below was right after trying a yellow dress and blue dress by a multi-trunk cathedral redwood.

The water and reflection photos evolved to dresses too. Water reflection was was drew me to portraiture in the first place, The first shot that got the ball rolling was with more of a hiking outdoors outfit.

KH_Creek_1200.jpg

Fern canyon?

You've got a nice lush tropical look going in that one.

I like the dress ones best, too.
Those bright dresses just sets off a giant redwood so fine.

That was a spot in Prairie Creek where the water pooled ... plus a lot of shade.

I should look at Fern Canyon sometime to see if it has a spot that would render similar with a smooth water surface.

Terri and I will be in Klamath over Memorial Day weekend. Will probably spend most of the time Prairie Creek I suspect. There's more yet to cover there.

Thank God for cortisone and the ankle brace. I'm going to get my licks in while I can. Even if I have to crawl.

Terri and I will be in Klamath over Memorial Day weekend. Will probably spend most of the time Prairie Creek I suspect. There's more yet to cover there.

Thank God for cortisone and the ankle brace. I'm going to get my licks in while I can. Even if I have to crawl.

Dang ... I'm possibly meeting Atkins the first couple weeks of June. Wish I could squeeze in a weekend to hook up. Just got back.

LOL ... I've got a knee brace in my truck's back door pocket just in case. Haven't needed it the past month, but got some swelling early April.

Same thing here ... if I got to crawl. Sort of reminds me of the scene in the movie Terminator.

We eat there, too!

The omelettes won-over my appetite there.

Curious, as you've probably eaten there far more than me ... was that place decorated with a twin theme, or slightly changed over time? The tables were built so permanent, it seems like it may have been started as a western theme originally and the name and wall murals added later.

I find the table photos and artifacts interesting to look at when I sit.

The murals were painted a few years ago when a new owner or manager took over. I really can't remember the previous decor but it had to do with logging, ranching and rodeos. I like the murals. Food is adequate enough...We prefer Miranda Cafe.

The model Kiera, who helped me several times in the coast redwoods, including the Lost Monarch photo, moved to San Diego a couple of months ago. With no choices on the photographer & model networking site where I found her profile, I posted an ad under GIGS in the Humboldt Craigslist. Out of 6 people who replied, I picked one Francesca of Brookings, Oregon, about 25 minutes north of Crescent City. We did a test shoot last week, and she arrived in town 30 minutes early ... a good sign.

This photo was from Jedediah Smith redwoods .. a few minutes off Howland Hill Rd.

FRAN_A_1.jpg

Here's a portrait in the same park, in Mill Creek ...

FRAN_B.jpg

Thank you.

I'm thinking of entering one photo of Kiera, the first model who helped me, in a photography contest in Crescent City, next October. Possibly 4 photos. 2 redwood, one Crocosmia flower, and a photo of the Smith River upstream from the redwood park in Northern California. There's an entry fee of $20 per photo, but I can also put them for sale, and I think 2 or 3 will sell.

Back