7th Largest Tree on Earth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If weather holds this week, hoping to photograph another of the larger Coast Redwoods in Prairie Creek park.

May even have enough time to get down to southern Humboldt around Avenue of the Giants for some exploring and hiking. Wouldn't mind finding another exceptional maple tree, too.

Mario, we plan on going up to the Avenue next Saturday and Sunday to do some hiking. Think you'll still be there then? As for exceptional maples in that area, neither Jerry or I can think of any one that we've come across that is extraordinary, but that doesn't mean there aren't any! If you come across one we'd like to photograph it also. We think the biggest we've seen could possibly be the one that is just south of Trees of Mystery leaning over the highway. It's beautiful. As you know, Humboldt Redwoods and Prairie Creek have many grand maples. The mossiest one I recall seeing is in Lost Man Creek. Of course, they are all gorgeous in fall colors.

Mario, we plan on going up to the Avenue next Saturday and Sunday to do some hiking. Think you'll still be there then? As for exceptional maples in that area, neither Jerry or I can think of any one that we've come across that is extraordinary, but that doesn't mean there aren't any! If you come across one we'd like to photograph it also. We think the biggest we've seen could possibly be the one that is just south of Trees of Mystery leaning over the highway. It's beautiful. As you know, Humboldt Redwoods and Prairie Creek have many grand maples. The mossiest one I recall seeing is in Lost Man Creek. Of course, they are all gorgeous in fall colors.

Friday is the most likely day if I go to Avenue of the Giants. But if Saturday looks promising, I'll start dropping messages your way, whether Facebook, email, etc..

Have you picked any particular trails yet?

We may have just changed our plans. Weather forecast is for 90*. Thats just too hot for us coasties.

We may have just changed our plans. Weather forecast is for 90*. Thats just too hot for us coasties.

Where you get that? What city?

I looked up Fortuna nearby at several websites and am finding about 68 to 70 degrees.

90 would be too much for me too.

Saturday Sunny, with a high near 89. Zip code 95553 (Miranda). NOAA. Even the forecast for Bull Creek is 88. Although it's generally a few degrees cooler in the woods, it's still too hot for us. We'll be watching the forecast....hopefully it will drop a few degrees but I doubt it because Ukiah is forecast for 103* Saturday!

Rather than a new thread on redwoods, maybe revive this one for various new redwood photo posts.

The 1st photo in the OP ... here is a new Version #3 ...

LOST_Ver_3_1200.jpg

Then ... this 7th largest redwood.

Originally with a yellow dress, but the color didn't seem best on a print, so I adjusted the dress color yesterday, and the 20" x 30" print came out better than expected.

Isaac_1200.jpg

Excellent.

I like how the inclusion of other trees in to the picture gives one an idea of how the forest looks.

Here's the 2nd largest Coast Redwood with outfit more colorful and athletic for size and scale.

Melkor_1200sharp.jpg

I saw one of your photos on Facebook. I get posts from Forest Freak, and as soon as I saw it, I recognized your work.

Howdy. Not sure if you got my email recently, but I'm exploring more for big redwoods. New ones. Found this blowdown recently in Redwood National and State Parks. Biggest blowdown I've ever come across. Appears to have been alive last year due to the brown foliage still clinging. And since it's not on Google Earth's June 2013 satellite, probably fell like the last 3 to 7 months or so. Appears to be a Lost Monarch or Melkor size trunk ... most likely single stem since the stump is round rather than elliptical. The angle of new fern fronds shows it was not like the last 4 weeks that it fell.

Blowdown_1200.jpg

I saw one of your photos on Facebook. I get posts from Forest Freak, and as soon as I saw it, I recognized your work.

Here's the next one I will be posting on Facebook, whether tonight or the next couple days.

You may have seen one with the same outfit posted from Crescent City when I just had my laptop

Melkor_2_1200.jpg

Then, is it worth more as an object of interest, or for the material? Perhaps you could chunk it and helicopter it out, with no damage to the environment. Maybe not worth the time and expense.

Back