3 c.i. Stihl or Husky. Which is best/ last longest?

This is the size wood I will be using the little saw for

This is the saw I use to cut frozen wood that size, 372XP-16" with 8 pin rim and 3/8 semi chisel for cutting edge endurance in frozen wood.
A lot of wood cutters in warmer climates who never cut frozen wood before , don't realize how much tougher it is to cut.

SDC10300.jpg

Semi chisel chain holds up well in frozen wood but round filed chisel works great too, just need more frequent touch ups. Trick is don't go crazy on the rakers with the flat file.
Yes not kicking away the snow when low stumping can yield lots of surprises alright.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
372 with a 16" bar. Wow. That would zoom. How do you like the tongs compared to a pulp hook?? For hard frozen wood I think the tongs would work better than the pulp hook. I would be lost without my hook. I use the Canadian pattern Peavey hook for in the woods and the 606 Favorite , Peavey Mfg. For loading and unloading the truck. When I was selling firewood I ran a 20" on my 460 Stihl and 372 Huskies as the saw would just fit on the floor in the cab of my Terex loader. Kept me from worrying about smashing a saw. I wish the dealers up here would carry the winter cover kit for the starter. I've never been able to get them up here and end up using Gorilla tape or duck tape. Looks ugly but works.

Did you ever try revving up a saw to WOT without the b/c? That's almost how quick the throttle response on the 372 is with a 16" b/c. Hyper felling, limbing, topping and bucking. Short bars help keep the chain away from dirt and rocks alot better too. I used to run a 16"-18" b/c on my Jonsered 87cc 910/920 and Stihl 064 back in the day when I was logging on a piecework rate.....no time to doddle with a little saw.

I like the tongs alot better then the pulp hook, those are my small pair as I have a bigger size ones also. With practice you can grab and toss wood all in one movement, even a sharp pulp hook has a hard time penetrating frozen wood I find. Pickeroons work ok though with a 28" handle. I carry my tongs in a leather holster on my wedge/ hatchet pouch belt.

The winter pre heater kits come free with our pro saws here in Canada....their expected to be used. Also with the rewind housing cover [cuts down on cold air and snow intake] for the Huskies there is a winter air injection shroud that blocks off the air flow from the flywheel to the air cleaner/carb air box and redirects the air flow to the cylinder.
My different models of Huskies have different styles, block off steel plates, winter housings. I have to keep them in storage in each models cubicle not to mix them up when I change over in the spring.

Wow. Husky has a redirect air kit. I asked dealers about something like that and they looked at me like a Jersey cow. Clue less. I'm gonna start buying my saws in Canada. Your 372 prolly has heated handles also. I think The Woodway in FAIRBANKS sells those tongs. I'm gonna get 1 . One season I worked building cabins and a guy working on the crew had a set. They worked slick for carrying and placing house logs.
For making money the bigger saws are the best no doubt . For my own firewood and dinking around will make the day less ardous and boring using a little saw. My last 3 ci saw was a 2149 Jred. I ran a 15" bar on it for a while. It was fun and light. I put a 24" on it eventually. Mainly for cutting under transmission lines. Easier on my back. But for cutting small pole firewood in the winter the little short bars are my favorite.

That's a great pic!Nothing as nice as spruce, really beautifies a person's yard.
Those tongs in my pic are from Stihl. I've since lost them and now have some Husqvarna ones....got them from Bailey's.

It looks like your at the far side of the Boreal Forest in North America , I'm right here in the center of it....pic off my front deck, I can't cut this spruce though:D
. 20140926_082040.jpg

Chris, yes walleye and northern pike in the 40 lb range. On a hot summer day I found a shallow bay where the monster pike hang out.
I had 12 lb test line on my rod and they were snapping it like thread. Sounded like a .22 going off when the line snaps.
:)

I don't mind barbless. I prefer barbed but if its barbless I seem to have to keep my rod tip way high and super tight to get the job done. But I'm alright to so whatever if it proves to leave a healthy fishery after I've come and gone.

Actually here in Manitoba you can't take a big trophy fish home, catch and release only...... pike for example 30" and over. Take your picture with it and let it go.
Barbless is good , just makes the fishing trip a little more competitive.:)

That's a great pic!Nothing as nice as spruce, really beautifies a person's yard.
Those tongs in my pic are from Stihl. I've since lost them and now have
some Husqvarna ones....got them from Bailey's.

It looks like your at the far side of the Boreal Forest in North America , I'm right here in the center of it....pic off my front deck, I can't cut this spruce though:D
.View attachment 58877

That pic could be right around here!!!

These are the hooks I use.

My old Swiss logging partner modified his pulp hook by twisting the handle 180 degrees so the hook and handle would lay flat to one another.
Then when running his cable skidder he'd carry the hook around his neck, he never lost it and always had it ready to use when choking up the loads.

I use a pulp hook partly/mostly because I grew up using one in Maine. We sold our pulp, balsam fir and spruce, and poplar, bamagilyd. In 4' lengths. Fencing white cedar in various lengths from 6'-12' . Birch went 50" iirc.
We fell, Limbed and bucked to length, then ricked along side the skid trails. Loaded the trailer or sled, pulled by farm tractors or converted old trucks. Then load the flat bed ton an half-2 ton farm trucks. Then off load by hand onto rail cars or piles at different mills. All with pulp hooks. Lots of work. But a pulphook is kindof a natural extension of my hand. I pack mine in a hammer loop on my wedge/fuel/tool belt.
I've used pickaroons quite a bit. For certain jobs they really excell , for general purpose, not so much for me anyway. . The European style of a tong and inline hook I think would work great for poles. A Canadian style pulp hook works for about everything tho. . Not as good for loading trucks with heavy wood tho as the point angle is shallow and it will slip off the butt of the log your loading. That's why I use the Peavey Favorite for loading and off loading trucks. . It is reminesent of the old thin Scratch hooks that would be hanging on the head board of most farm/pulp trucks where I grew up.

For this size wood a 241 Stihl or 543Husky would be perfect

With all the snow and hoar frost I would have to walk around with a 12' log dead spruce pole and bang the trees to see if they were dead or not. Customers got kind cranky if they got much green wood. It made for an extra hard day and the most I could do is 1 1/2 cord. For a lot of this I ran my 372 w/20" bar. Tho I also had a 453 Husky 16" . When it would start and run it worked ok tho nothing to write home about.

2 cord fell,Limbed,logged and loaded. Working alone with a chain saw, pulp hook , snow mobile+sled and a 1 ton pickup makes for a long hard day!!! I know I've posted quite a few pics in this thread. I got trolling thru my photobucket acnt and found some oldies but goodies. Well maybe not goodies.

I'm just as comfortable with a 3120 as I am with a little baby saw. In the appropriate size timber. The last couple cord of firewood I've brought home I cut with my 339 Husky climbing saw.

Back