3 c.i. Stihl or Husky. Which is best/ last longest?

Cold Logging. From checking Stihl Canada's website it appears the Ms241 and the Ms880 are the only saws in the lineup without heated handles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wish Stihl would do a zone or latitude instead of a national distribution system. . I mean, if you can't buy a heated handle Stihl in Tok Alaska from the full line stocking dealer there something is wrong.

I just emailed the Stihl dealer in Whitehorse asking if the 241 is available with heated handles. It seems the 43cc saw class from Husky and Jonsred aren't available with heated handles either. The 550 is as are the 2153+2253 .

From checking Husqvarna USA website the 550XP G with heated handles is available.

To be honest besides the little top handles, a 550 is the smallest saw I would go with a 16-18" b/c anyways.

Residentially espescially, I see no reason to use a tiny saw. Maybe a zen thing? Develop patience, become one with the saw, because you'll have time to think about these things as the saw is cutting.

Actually, I prefer the 3 ci saws way more than the top handle climbing saws.

A ms260 is a great saw as long as it has Carb adjustment screws. They brought out one that did not and it was a doggy pig. Otherwise. The 260s get a high vote from me!

The MS 260 isn't a bad saw, it isn't a great saw. It has more low end for heavy handed users, like myself, than the 346xp has, it's not a bad weight, considering the newer versions out. They also respond very well to mods! I wont talk you out of one, but I think there are better options out there to pick from.

Residentially espescially, I see no reason to use a tiny saw. Maybe a zen thing? Develop patience, become one with the saw, because you'll have time to think about these things as the saw is cutting.
Justin that was very well said:lol:
Yeah most times when I'm in the cut I look ahead at the next cut I'm about to make .
All I use the 550XP for is just alot of limbing and "small" ground removal. I have found it's nice to carry on the saddles biner for aerial hardwood removal with a 18" b/c.......on a few occasions.

But seeing our hardwoods here have a tapered trunk like a carrot. I can aerial limb and top it with the 338XPT. Then fell the spar with my ground saw.

I wish Stihl would do a zone or latitude instead of a national distribution system. . I mean, if you can't buy a heated handle Stihl in Tok Alaska from the full line stocking dealer there something is wrong.
Yep, it is total bullshit.
We can't get the T150 or the MS461 here in Scandinavia ( Except Finland, who apprently have their own national distribution system).

I, and a couple of others, did manage to bitch loud enough that they have changed their mind on the T150, which I'll get one in january.

I guess for me the reason I like the little 43-50 cc saws is I spent so long pre commercial tree thinning with them . Cutting stuff from seedling size up thru 10" diameter. I proved that with a perfect chisel ground chain that I could cut right along with all the guys running 4 c.I. saws with ho hum round filed chains and by the end of the day I wasn't draggin like they were. . I burned less fuel and oil per acre so my trips to the fuel dock weren't as traumatic on my wallet. Some of those guys were burning nearly 2 gallons a day. I wasn't even beating 1 gal most days. .
The 44 / 242 Husky- 026 Stihls were also what we used for climbing saws. For climbing in the riggin and topping. I've done lots of climbing with P42 Pioneer, 031-038 Mag ll, 044 Stihls. 266-372 Huskies. But that was because they were the smallest saws on the claim.
For small tree thinning size trees I just really prefer the little 43-50cc saws.

You will love the stihl 241 for wood that size. I ran one for a few minutes in some 12-14" cottonwood, definitely more pull than a 200/201. Neat little saw.

I'm a big fan of the 3 cube, or 50cc saws myself. Sure, my modded 046 can't be beat in larger wood, but it just hurts to run that beast anymore! I've come to love my modded Dolmar 5100 anymore! I didn't think it could get much better than my modded Husky 350, but with a 20" 3/8' bar on it, it's become my favorite saw!
But with the new regs, I'm telling you, it's Husky all the way!

Yep, it is total bullshit.
We can't get the T150 or the MS461 here in Scandinavia ( Except Finland, who apprently have their own national distribution system).

I, and a couple of others, did manage to bitch loud enough that they have changed their mind on the T150, which I'll get one in january.

Before it was Elfving who was distributer in Finland. Perhaps they still are.Before Strihl they were distributing Jonsereds up to Husqvarna/Eluux stopped it and set up office in Finland for HVA, Jonsered and Partner.
When they started selling Stihl they Ketp the Raket name and sold Stihl Raket 026!

Back