3 c.i. Stihl or Husky. Which is best/ last longest?

Cold Logging

TreeHouser
. So, I'm wanting to get a new 3 cube saw this coming spring/ summer. Since Husky has come out with some new saws in that size category and Stihl has the 261 , maybe they've brought out 262 by now. I've had a few 024, 026+260s I know and like them. But with these new computerized saws I'm not familiar with them.

Any insights are appreciated!

I got nothing for ya big guy. I have all of the last generation saws, but I have heard good things about the Husky 550xp.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
. If the 346 XP was still the 346 XP then I would prolly get one. Heck, I'de love to see 242s on dealers shelves. One of the best small pro saws ever made imo. But thisnew bunch I'm like Sargent Schultz.

Btw
Its good to see everyone on here still ambulatory! A friend, long time pro arborist had a tree break off at ground level this summer. He was 50+' up where he topped it. He rode it down. Walked away with a major dislocated shoulder. He
hasn't worked since lastI knew.

I would love to have a new 242. My 242/246 has got an air leak somewhere. Fast nimble lill saw!

That size saw doesn't hit a sweet spot for me, in my lineup. I go from the Stihl 200 rear handle to the Stihl 361...both of which have been very reliable and quite strong performers for me. They both fight above their weight classes. The 201 and the 362, I'm like you...I know, well maybe not nothing, but not so much either.

So far as Stihl vs. Husky saws...I'll always choose to buy the brand that I can get the best service and parts local to me. That has always meant Stihl in my case, but I'd change in a heartbeat if I moved to a place without a good Stihl presence, that had a good Husky one.

The 562 Husky is getting great feed back for the most part.
I lean toward what Burnam mentions though. I do have an 026, but it is more the chipper light limbing saw. I have to order a 22 rear handle special, and I doubt they even make it any more.
I just bout an 034 I am going to up the ante with an 036 jug I have on another saw. Should be quite the little screamer.

I really like the little 3 cube size saws. Down to the 242/44 Husky, Stihl 024 size. They have been reliable and a very fun break from running a falling saw all the time. I include the small Jonsred pro saws in here also. I really liked the 2149 Jred I had.

The 460 is a couple pounds heavier than I'm after. I've run the 460s a lot. For the last few years. They're not a bad saw but not really what I'm after. I'll be cutting a lot of white and black spruce poles 10"-2" will run a 16-20" bar. As much cutting my own firewood as anything.

I was afraid of that. The 346 was close to perfection imo. Tho a bit more finicky than the 024,026 and 260s I had. Tho I've had several home owner/ commercial small Huskies. They've never had the longevity I needed. . I've gotten disgusted with them and given them to friends that like to tinker with stuff. .
At this point I'm leaning toward the 261 Stihl. But would really like a saw with heated handle bars and Stihl doesn't offer them in the US. .
With a chisel ground chain these little saws can really get a lot of work done. I ground the chains on all my small Stihls and the 242s . A 242 Husky with a perfect 3/8 chisel ground chain cuts small stuff like a light saber.

Ya, a juiced 261 would be pretty ideal but I really like 3/8 . . I've never been able to get 325 to cut as good as I can 3/8. And I throw the chain less with 3/8.

IMHO the new Stihl's are just bloated pigs! No where near the power they used to have and gained weight. Not many are happy with the new versions. Husky has really kicked their butts with the auto tune system. Granted they had some teething problems, but seem to have been quick to jump on them to fix it. Unlike Stihl, took them almost two years to come up with a fix, that the end user has to buy, to make the 200t usable? That's stupid!
I'd look really hard at the Husky 550 if you liked the 346, everyone seems to really like them that has run them. But know you are going to be maxed with an 18" bar on a stock one.
IF I were looking for ONE new saw and planned to thin the heard to just that one saw, I'd buy a new Husky 565 and be fat dumb and happy with a 20 and 28" bars for it.
IF I were to be looking for something like you are wanting, I'd buy a Dolmar 5100 and have someone mod it and be fat dumb and happy! I LOVE mine, run it with 16 and 20" bars, both in 3/8" and it's mostly all I need anymore. But that's my opinion and it's worth everything you paid for!

So, I took some time today on line to look over the new little saws. . At this point I'm thinking 543 Husky or 241 Stihl . . I'll run a 14" or longer bar in 3/8 . It just depends which one I can get with heated handles. Aparrently the 543 turns up like the 242 did. .
This will sound odd but one thing I like about the new Stihls. Some of them anyway is the top of the pistol grip. Up by the Carb cover. They have kind of a shield there that works great for finishing the back cut when pushing a tree over. . I first discovered it in 07 on the 441 Stihl.
For nipping the far side of a back cut one handed it is a boon to the industry.

Ideally the saw would be fully as dependable as my 046/460 Stihls and 372 Huskies all have been. They would ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Start and run. The 550 Husky sounds like it cuts like a raped ape, if its one of the ones that starts. And that seems to be kindof a roll of the dice. The specs say it is about a pound lighter than the 260 Stihl and just a little less power. ?????

If I could only have 1 saw it would be a 460/461 Stihl. With the current 460 I have, juiced up by Micheal Lee in Tennessee it pulls 34" of solid spruce with authority running an 8 tooth 3/8 sprocket semi skip chisel ground chisel bit Stihl RS 63 ga on a 36" Oregon LW bar. But in the Interior and for most tree work I run a 24" Oregon bar. Same semi skip chain. I have yet to have an 046/460 let me down and I've cut timber with 5 of them running mostly 30-36" bars. I run aftermarket full wrap Montana made handle bars and over size falling double dogs. . Its a yee haaaw buddy! Cuttin machine.

I own/use a stihl 261 with a 20 in bar...it just plain rips, starts everytime, just a winner of a saw IMHO

The 550XP is a ripper, I like it better then the 346.
I don't know about the U.S. but here in Canada the Stihl MS241 is available with the 63PS Picco 3/8 chisel chain setup with a 7T rim sprocket. With a 16" bar that setup gives the 550 XP a run for the money , lighter and I believe heated handles are avaiable on the 241 too.

If I could only have 1 saw it would be a 460/461 Stihl. With the current 460 I have, juiced up by Micheal Lee in Tennessee it pulls 34" of solid spruce with authority running an 8 tooth 3/8 sprocket semi skip chisel ground chisel bit Stihl RS 63 ga on a 36" Oregon LW bar. But in the Interior and for most tree work I run a 24" Oregon bar. Same semi skip chain. I have yet to have an 046/460 let me down and I've cut timber with 5 of them running mostly 30-36" bars. I run aftermarket full wrap Montana made handle bars and over size falling double dogs. . Its a yee haaaw buddy! Cuttin machine.

Best saw ever, I've got a bunch and the 461 so far has been fantastic. I run mine 24".

I've had scads of 3 cube saws-026, Shinny 488, Dolmar 5100S, Solo 651...., most all were woods ported. my fav was the 346NE, ported by Jasha Reynolds, the No Cal faller . Kick ass saw till the crank broke. Mitch Weber (mweba on AS and sawhogz) has had it for damn near six months now. Horrible communicative skills. Says it's finally fixed, didn't charge much, but damn it , send it back. He did port a 550 for me, and, while I do like it, I'm not sure it's as fast as that 346 was.
I was going to have Terry Landrum port a 562 for me, but after having a track hoe trash my 660, (my fault for forgetting where I set it) I'm going to have him port a new 390 for me. Fixed the 660, with aftermarket crap parts.......still needs a bit of help from Andy Nobbs to get workable.... Cutting down three trees for his neighbors tomorrow, after finishing another storm tree... had a gaff shank break today....

You broke a gaff shank?? Wow. I like Terry, he's a good hand. I haven't been on AS or SawHawgz in a long time.
I'm hoping I'll be able to go over to Whitehorse and get a heated handle bar 241. Stihl no longer offers heated handle bar saws in the U.S.

The 044s are great saws I've fell timber for about a year and a half with them running 32" bars and full skip 3/8. But I like the 460 better. Had the 046 been available when the 044 came out I may never had an 044.

Back