Fishing 2017

Black rockfish, pretty common here. They can get 40 to 50 years old. Also got some ling cod and I didn't get the hook set on a halibut

Crazy pic! What did you take it with, GoPro?

Awesome pics folks.
Trying out fly fishing for sea bass at the moment- 2nd attempt today & still not landed a fish but had one snap me off. Savage take & run did put a huge smile on my face though. The abbey you can see in the distance is Whitby - as in the Dracula tales

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Willie, that's pretty amazing those rockfish can get that old. How heavy do they get at that age? I thought maybe the longer fish in your pics was a lingcod but was not sure. All good eating?

Cool pics Scott and Pete. I am curious about your sea bass Pete, are they the ones that look like the north American striped bass, without the stripes?

Ray, Lingcod are considered especially good eating. Other Rock fish are good enough I guess you could say, rather simple tasting flesh. Abundant down in holes along the north coast.

Thanks Jay. In the pics of lingcod I've seen they look like some ugly dudes, vaguely resembling the oyster-fish that are common here, wasn't sure how they tasted.

Here's a couple the skipper took, first is a ling
03ff24b52fb84adf87f237fba1b8d9f4.jpg
f09316f614379022a4dc10b7cd126d53.jpg

Jim, those kayaks are not designed to have a Bear in one :D...there not bear proof..lol

To bad on the poles. Seems they may not have engineered that sucker for a man of quite your stature.

I have a blast with it. I went out with my wife and daughter and by the time they're suckholing and whining I feel like I'm just getting warmed up. I feel like I could just go forever. I do feel it a little bit in my shoulders today. Feels good, muscles letting you know they're still there. Lol.

Remember when I told you guys that this kayak that I borrowed could not be tipped over?

Yeah, scratch that. You can tip one over.....and sober too.

Be careful out there.
:lol:
Sounds like you had quite an adventure there Jim. Hang in there buddy, you'll feel more at ease every time you cast off.
Took some friends from Alabama on a quick trip at daylight this morning to catch some sea trout and mackerel. A squall was chasing us for the couple of hours we got to fish and it won the race. The last half mile coming in it was raining cats, dogs and manatees. We got drenched.
IMG_2402.jpg

Back