The Hunicke Interviews: Gerald Beranek

cool Sean, 33ish also for me. I can understand how thankful lots of people must be to Gerry. I've been fortunate enough to be around "gun" climbers and had access to quality technical college run by successful and smart tree men- whilst Gerry has been there to help all those without that kind of easy access.:thumbup:

That's interesting Chris and Sean... I was 32 when I started with the climbing bit.....

Yeah.... Super weird: I had just been lamenting to Matthew that I had got into it so late. Funny though... I've been thinking about it all week, and the truth is: I really don't envy the younger guys starting out in our shop. Half of em have the hugest egos, even though they're really slow, and probably always will be; and the only guy I liked fell on a Munter Hitch and broke his back. He's all healed up now. He came back for a week and started climbing, but with some pain. He just quit tree work, for good last week. :(

He's following his dreams now to be a canyoneering and mountaineering guide which is really great, but I'm really pretty bummed. Joey Sparks: heck of a good dude. :drink:

I can't see a problem with starting late. More sense of consequence and maybe a little less testosterone driving you to act better then you are. I started in my early 20s like most and wasn't worth a crap on advanced work until the last few years and even now I'm sure some might call me mediocre. My first few years were wasted making tree harder then they needed to be. It was inexperience but also being young and gung ho.

30 when I started, I think maybe I could have started 5 years earlier. Earlier than that I was, as you say, unaware of consequence.
When I went to college I was very focussed because of my age.

Thank you August for taking the time and doing this interview.

As others have already said, Jerry has touched our industry in a way that few people have been able to do. He has always taken the time to help me out with questions and I'm proud to call him a friend.

I can't see a problem with starting late. More sense of consequence and maybe a little less testosterone driving you to act better then you are. I started in my early 20s like most and wasn't worth a crap on advanced work until the last few years and even now I'm sure some might call me mediocre. My first few years were wasted making tree harder then they needed to be. It was inexperience but also being young and gung ho.

well said Tuck :thumbup:

Great!! Thanx for bumping this up,seems short as you watch it.
Very interesting and cool to watch,anticipating the 2nd portion for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do what you can August, don't beat yourself up for not getting it done sooner. It'll be that much better to watch after all that anticipation.....:thumbup:;)

I feel learning from mr Beranek in person or in this case video is one of the coolest things ever. When I stared doing tree work I read his book like six times. He is veteran and that makes it all the more amazing. Someday it's my dream to shake his hand, wouldn't be able say anything as I would be awe struck. It just would be cool. I finally took his advice and purchased two sets of gaffs and will never look back! Thank you good sir!

Back