World Cup 2022

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I normally watch zero soccer but when the WC is on in the room it's fun to watch bits n pieces

Yes, matches are on early in the am here, so usually catch the last 30mins of a live game over breakfast.
I played a LOT of field hockey, football is quite similar in flow (except for the offside rule)
Amusing note, all the countries who call football 'soccer' are out now :lol: including Oz

I have been watching from my perch.

England through, Germany out!

England vs Senegal this evening, I will either be elated or disappointed.

Regardless of the outcome it is already a great World Cup LOL.

Regardless of the outcome it is already a great World Cup LOL.

Everyone normally says the best World Cup is the first one they properly remember but I genuinely think this one is up there. Some great shocks, a few big names going out early and some genuinely good games.
Bit weird seeing World cup games while the Christmas tree is up but I've enjoyed it so far. Reckon England have surprised a few just getting out the group so will be interesting to see how far they manage and when they get up against a really 'good' team

Whilst I agree with most of your post Tommy.

If England hadn’t got through the group stage then they deserve to be lambasted.

It isn’t as if Iran 🇮🇷, USA 🇺🇸 or Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 are powerhouses in the world of football.

Football is name given to the game where you use your feet. Whereas, soccer is a name given to the game so people don’t get confused with football. (you know the one where people use their hands and throw the projectile). 🤪

Whilst I agree with most of your post Tommy.

If England hadn’t got through the group stage then they deserve to be lambasted.

It isn’t as if Iran 🇮🇷, USA 🇺🇸 or Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 are powerhouses in the world of football.

Football is name given to the game where you use your feet. Whereas, soccer is a name given to the game so people don’t get confused with football. (you know the one where people use their hands and throw the projectile). 🤪

I agree mate. 100% we should have rightly finished top. I genuinely can't stand the media in the UK (or anywhere to be quite honest!) but especially in the UK we need to be complaining about things to force a point. England pumped Iran and we were World beaters, Drew with US and Southgate needed to go😄. I spoke with lots of lads at 5 a side who were adamant we weren't getting out the group and Wales and USA were going to school us!
Argentina getting a lesson from the Saudis and Belgium not even making it out the group show that we need to have a look at what we have done as decent. Fingers crossed we should have enough for Senegal so it will be France in the quarters. Not sure we would have enough to beat them in all honesty so kind of made my peace with them going out already. Think my days of getting too wrapped up in International football is long gone though

I was quite surprised that the group with England, USA, Wales and Iran was the "lowest ranked/toughest" on paper. I had no idea Iran were ranked 20 in the world (Not that Fifa rankings mean much!)

Well, it does get kicked from time to time too...

😂

Isn’t that usually by an Englishman though?

I know I am being a dick LOL but there was one team years ago where the kicker who had been influential in the success of the team, was actually an English dude who played proper football and rugby.

I forget the team.

Last edited:
Our local small high school football team just won the state championship in their division, first time ever. Their place kicker is a statewide ranked soccer player...he missed a couple of football games this season to play with the soccer team :).

In the state final, he made a 38-yard field goal, which is not chump change at the high school level.
He is not English, btw :D.

:lol:So much to-do about whether association football or league football should e called "football"

I dont watch either so no fuggs given.
When I was younger, I would rather play than watch. Being the littlest bloke on the block, I had to prove myself. I was really good at hitting low and zig zagging the field.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1v1 soccer is the most cardio I've ever had lol :|:

England have to beat France...toss up.
Ha, watching Portugal/Switzerland while cruising here on TH, 3-0....went through a few posts, looked up and it was 4-1!
Soft spot for Portugal, as it's our unofficial second language in Bermuda.

Oh well, Portugal is out..
I did think France would beat England so that one didn't surprise me

Back