Workin in the rain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It seems hazardous to be spurless in the rain. Especially on a smooth bark species.

I won’t let my kids free climb the Japanese maple if wet. Years before getting into tree care my son (6 at the time) fell out and went down about 8’ and hit his head on a root. I didn’t see it as I just walked in to get some water. I probably would have had a heart attack. The neighbors told me what happened. The tree was wet and smooth barked. Fortunately he only had a mild concussion and doesn’t have any effects from it. I rode with him in the ambulance where he was going unconscious periodically as well as vomiting. They cut his clothes off him in the trauma room at the hospital and had about 10 people working on him. What a terrible experience. I was just praying the whole time.

I won’t trim or rec climb a wet smooth bark. Even with ropes, slipping is so dangerous (as you all know better than I).

Ive worked in the rain spike and spikeless climbing even done night works and stayed up a tree while it was blowing a gale to finish a make safe whilst we had a road closure in place. Wasn't the funnest but got it done. most of the time ill work in the rain unless its bucketing down or not safe to keep going as there's lightening or high winds and ive got to drop heads out of trees.

Back