Wire rope / steel cable

Here are several 7 tuck eye splices from Burnhams pics
attachment.php

Reading this old thread and recalled doing a prune of several maples on Mimosa Drive (weren't any Mimosa by the time I was working there). The old timer next door came out to watch. As I came down from the last tree he asked to see my adjustable lanyard. He asked if I had made it. Nope, bought it at an arborist supply house I told him. He said buy a piece of rope, snaps and thimbles and bring them by and he'd teach me how to do the ram's head and eye splice. As he taught me a few days later he told me when he was in 6th grade his father, an engineer at the Continental Company ( later the Budd Co plant), came to school to get him. His ability at splicing was well known in the community and a major assembly line that was comprised of rope and suspended buckets had snapped. He was able to resplice it within the parameters of the machinery and said you could barely see where the splice was. Later during the World War he oversaw captured German soldiers splicing wire cables for observation balloons. He told me they were the best workers because they knew if they were returned to Germany they'd be headed for the Russian front.

Wire isn't a whole lot different that lay rope except you have to make provisions for . It's a stiff as a bridegrooms D--- k for one thing and has porcupine spines for another .That aside it just takes longer is all .

It helps to have a heavy dead blow hammer handy too .

To tell the truth if I had my druthers I'd druther do wire than braided which gives me fits .One mans poison is anothers meat they say .;)

I'll see if I can scrounge up some cable and try it

Found an old piece of cable in the woods yesterday but when I pulled it out of the dirt with my truck it was to short and kinky. Still looking

Careful Willy, you never know what might be attached to those mysterious lengths of cable when you go pulling on them in the woods.

Attachments

• a3fdbcc5a00f0e202c6255c702ffb0ed.jpg
    a3fdbcc5a00f0e202c6255c702ffb0ed.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 58
Back