White Pines in The Pine Tree State appear threatened

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Was in Maine a couple weeks ago (a third of the way up the state, 17 mi NW of Augusta). I always love gazing at the many massive white pines (4'x130') on my camp road by Echo Lake. Last year at this time I observed no issues with the trees. This year, 99% of the white pines in my area have very noticeable thinning canopies. !0% them are goners, 20% look critically threatened, and the rest are clearly afflicted.

As a serious lover of trees, I was definitely alarmed and reached out to the ME Arb Assoc and spoke to a 'John' who said it is a needle cast fungus (canvirgella) and they aren't that worried about it. I hope he's right but I will be very surprised if these trees I've seen recover.

He said they're more worried about insect problems like EAB, which is ironic because in my area there the Ashes look superb and totally unaffected by EAB nor Ash yellows. But he said EAB is north of us and south of us so likely won't be long until they get nuked in this area as they have been in my area of CT.

What say the Mainiacs here at TB, @SeanRuel and @Serf Life ?

Back