Votes: 1 12.5%
  • CAT

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

No_Bivy

Treehouser
which brand would you buy for a full size machine....8000lb loader class with tracks....

Nobody uses track loaders around here, but the Bobcats are most popular for the skid steers. If I were going to use one for a living then I'd skip the skid steers altogether and get an articulating loader like the Gehl, Kubota or Swinger. Higher lift, better visibility, more weight capacity, less turf damage, just better in every possible way for residential treework around here.

The tracks would work better for not getting stuck on a muddy construction site or on the side of a mountain. Luckily I don't work on muddy construction sites or the sides of mountains.

I didn't vote because I didn't want to skew your results.

I used a CAT sumthin or another in Maryland. Those guys were loading ENORMOUS logs with it into the side of their dump. They also ran a big brush hog on it too. It was the SHITZ!

ASV as the best undercarriage, IMO. Cat bought 25% of ASV and thus offers their undercarriage on some models.

It depends on what you like!! Th ASV's have a LOT of GREAT features, I am really impressed with the machines. As Carl said, the undercairige is second to none, and most if not all now, have the Cat motors in them, HUGE plus!! The dealer network is geting better and prices for the machines are reasonable, parts are a bit high though. They also use the Cat style operations, one joystick runs the boom, the other the drive.
The Cats are a great machine and overbuilt IMO, not a bad thing, but increadibly pricey:O and also use the one joystick to control operation.
The Takies I think are underratted, I think they buil a great machine, but the dealer network leaves a lot to be desired and parts can be really hard to get in some cases.
Bobcat, well if I were to buy one, this would be it, but I am biased. Since I worked as a tech I know how to work on them and have an idea where to go for what, and how to fix it. I also like the controls on them better. If you get the joystick model you can switch it so it steers with both sticks and on runs the boom, one runs the tilt. Others may have this option now, but didn't at the time. I have a dealer close at hand, and know the parts lady and can explain to her what I need and she understands it, unlike working on the Gawd awful old Case machines!!!!
So, what does the dealer network in your area look like? This is 10000X more important than a good chainsaw dealer!! find the dealers, then try a few out. But I am hard pressed to tell you what is best for you, so I also will not vote!!

cat make a sweet skid steer but you will pay for it. never run takeuchi but have heard good things and better prices

The Gehl CL80 is the same as the Takeuchi machine.

80 HP in that little machine makes it a gigantic powerhouse. Awesome pushing/loading power.

Basically a D3 dozer stuffed into a track loader.

They aren't CAT motors, they are Perkins, and they suck big time, in my direct, hands on, personal experience. I have a friend that went through several ASV's in attempting to purchase one, before he got one that actually worked correctly.:X The Perkins/CAT are cold blooded, loud, and expensive to work on. We had to have some warranty work done on a CAT engine, and it took six months and a huge hassle to fix a defective exhaust manifold. The undercarriage on the ASV machines is very smooth, but also very expensive to maintain. I rate the ASV machines as rudimentary in appointment, and annoying overall. I would compare ALL machines to see the cost of running per operating hour. You Will be paying a large chunk of change for maintenance to keep a tracked machine running, in addition to the substantially higher initial purchase cost. That is not to say it is not worth it, just be prepared for it.

I am a strong supporter of CASE skid loaders. We have been running them here since the early seventies, and I have been running them since I was 8. We retired the last one at 10,500 hours. My favorite all time skid loader is the CASE 1845C, it has the smoothest hydrostatic drive of any that I have operated. The Bobcats also seem to be good machines, just not as smooth. I ran a T300 track machine, and it was a pretty sweet machine, however it did go mental and eat up a trailer.:roll: The T300 would pick up trees with 60"+ root balls with ease, but would also slid down icy driveways with them.:O:D It ran the 44" spade well, but wouldn't lift the 50". It has been replaced with a Takeuchi, of some sort, which is working out well. They also have a CASE, whichever is the biggest tracked machine they make, I don't know much about it. If it were me, I'd look at the CASE, or the T300/T330. Kubota is also about to spring a skid loader on the market, but I don't know when.

I have always viewed the Case skidloaders as large and clumsy.

The NH and JD skidloaders always outperformed the 1845 series IMO.

A 394 will outperform a 346 too.;) Are we talking apples to apples? I don't care at all for the boom style of the JD/NH. I have run a number JD skid loaders, an 88??, 250, 320, and a couple of others in that series, none operated as smoothly as the 1845's do. Granted, visibility is better, but not as smooth. Like buying anything, it's more about personal preference and local dealers than anything. Both of the 250 and 320 have had several serious maladies each, including a new engine in one at 600 hours.

For what it's worth, one of the large dairy farms near here is having good luck with Bobcat loaders. They buy a couple each year. They are run 24 hours a day, and they are getting about 10k hours out of them.

Thanks for the insight Dave!!!
Perkins=head gasket and turbo problems=LOT OF MONEY!! The only engine I dislike more is the Duetz oil cooled motors!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! I'd like to find the guy that desinged that POS!!!!

The Kubota engines are legendary, as are Yanmar, just FYI in the search.

I also like the NH loaders!!!

I don't like the old Case loaders because I always have to fix them!! Change out the hoses on the foot operated aux. pedal sometime, then we can chat!!

I think the t190 would Do perfect. We got to use one while the A300 was in the shop. Its is in the 6000lbs class. But that is all the machine you will need. It would carry the same amount as the a300. Its a bobcat by the way with a kubota motor.

Bobcat company has stood by their product 100% They recently came out to do a wiring upgrade that was mandatory.

Technician drove a hour to the house and did the upgrade and went back home. How many other dealerships can you say that about.

I like the Asv design. But a buddy runs a brushcutter on one and has nothing but trouble. He has been through 7 machines.

We run John deere and Cats at the utility company that I work for. First thing I would consider is dealer support sooner or later your going to need parts. I personally am not a Bobcat fan I do not like the way there wheeled machines balance, it is like riding a bucking bronco all day. The other thing to consider is that Cat only uses a pilot type control system. Everything is controlled from the 2 joy stick controls no foot pedals. This is not a problem if it is the only machine you have, but if you go back and forth between standard controls and pilot controls it can get frustrating.

I am a huge Kubota fan. I've run a few machines with the Yanmar engines ,and they seem to be pretty darn good too. The Cat/Perkins engines on the 2008 Woodmizer mill and edge will not start when it's cold, and I don't mean below freezing cold either.

I have seen every type of skid steer burn up running brushcutters except,the new 320 bobcats. Not your application, I know but something to keep in mind.

The couple of Takeuchi's I have run actually had Yanmars in them. Tough on fuel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have seen every type of skid steer burn up running brushcutters except,the new 320 bobcats. Not your application, I know but something to keep in mind.

that thing is HUGE!!!

Back